Are you using soft or hard spen tip?

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I think the artist use the hard tip to draw and design.
The hard tip seems to be able to manipulate and maneuver the pen better.
The soft tip, is just for the every day guy or girl..
Using soft tip.
Working on a detailed picture that I'm coloring in, and decided to switch to the hard tip, and it was a wee bit easier to color. I'll post it when done.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
I use the one that the pen shipped with. One pen type is for those using screen protectors and the other for bare screens.

It ships with a rubberized black tip which is supposed to not damage plastic screen protectors, the white tips are harder plastic and I think they glide better on glass but could damage cheap plastic screen protectors

B Hoste

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I never though about it, I assumed that all the tips were the same. I guess I have something to do tonight after work.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It ships with a rubberized black tip which is supposed to not damage plastic screen protectors, the white tips are harder plastic and I think they glide better on glass but could damage cheap plastic screen protectors
Actually, that depends on the color your Note8 is. Gray and gold models for instance have a lighter tip, but it's the same type as the black one.

The one that it ships with is better for glass but not good for plastic guards. The white ones are supposed to be softer and easier on plastic guards.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
Actually, that depends on the color your Note8 is. Gray and gold models for instance have a lighter tip, but it's the same type as the black one.

The one that it ships with is better for glass but not good for plastic guards. The white ones are supposed to be softer and easier on plastic guards.

Oh you are right there are different colors of tips for the different colors of spens but so you are saying the gray model ships with the hard one?

Because as I said on the black model the black tip is the soft and easy on plastics and the white one is the hard one. It ships with the black "soft" tip.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh you are right there are different colors of tips for the different colors of spens but so you are saying the gray model ships with the hard one?

Because as I said on the black model the black tip is the soft and easy on plastics and the white one is the hard one. It ships with the black "soft" tip.
That’s odd because the Samsung reps told me every Note ships with the hard nib that’s already on the pen. It’s black on the black model and usually white for every other color.

The white (on black models) or gray (on others) color one is the softer one. It’s like that because the included one would be better for the glass but for plastic guards, the white/gray one would be better.

That’s why they shipped with more of the harder ones than the softer ones. Easy way to tell is how many of the color it shipped with. Fewer of the different color means they’re soft nibs.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Dont have my Note 8 box with me but I have the Note 5 nibs in a drawer at my desk. The 5 nibs are fatter tipped and the black ones have a softer rubber tip. The light gray are harder for sure. I was gonna switch them but I want the finer tip Note8 nibs. Gonna check when I get home.

FYI Note 5 nibs will not work on the Note 8 SPen. the tip is too fat for the hole and the rod is shorter. Damaged my Note 8 nib trying to pull it out using the Note 5 nib tool.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
That’s odd because the Samsung reps told me every Note ships with the hard nib that’s already on the pen. It’s black on the black model and usually white for every other color.

The white (on black models) or gray (on others) color one is the softer one. It’s like that because the included one would be better for the glass but for plastic guards, the white/gray one would be better.

That’s why they shipped with more of the harder ones than the softer ones. Easy way to tell is how many of the color it shipped with. Fewer of the different color means they’re soft nibs.

Are you sure that's not for older Note Generations? I indeed have in total 4 of the black ones (including the pre-installed one) and only 2 of the white ones but I tought it was because thw soft ones would wear faster with extreme usage but for example exaggerating the feeling the white ones feel like if I was writing on a window with a ballpoint pen while black ones feel like if I was writing on glass with the eraser of a pencil. The sound is also different if I tap the screen with the white one I can hear the same sound as if I tapped with an actual pen but with the black ones I barely hear anything. Also if I take the whole nib (away from the spen) the black one flexes quite a bit while the white one does not

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure that's not for older Note Generations? I indeed have in total 4 of the black ones (including the pre-installed one) and only 2 of the white ones but I tought it was because thw soft ones would wear faster with extreme usage but for example exaggerating the feeling the white ones feel like if I was writing on a window with a ballpoint pen while black ones feel like if I was writing on glass with the eraser of a pencil. The sound is also different if I tap the screen with the white one I can hear the same sound as if I tapped with an actual pen but with the black ones I barely hear anything. Also if I take the whole nib (away from the spen) the black one flexes quite a bit while the white one does not
I checked. The white ones are indeed the softer ones.

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I checked with users, other sources and Samsung.

The one that’s with the pen when you unbox the phone is designed to be used with glass. The 2 nibs that are of a different color is for use with plastic guards.
This makes the most sense by far because the phone doesn't come with a screen protector installed. Why would Samsung put the tip designed for a screen protector in the pen when it ships? Makes absolutely no sense for them to do that.

vwite

Dec 26, 2016
Visit site
This guy also says the black one (on black model) is the soft one, weird how samsung doesn't specify on the website or manual which ones are the hard ones or soft ones but it might be depending on the color of the device and spen the white one could be the soft one or.the hard one, of course it depends on the material and not on the color

https://youtu.be/ohkYBnZLmcI

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Not a Note 8 owner yet, but I've always preferred the hard tip for Galaxy Notes, glides over the glass more smoothly.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I use s pen a lot. As I've now removed the horrible neo flex spigen I've switched to the black tip. This one has a rubber finish which I find provides enough grip but allows plenty of glide whereas the plastic white tip seemed too slippery on bare glass....but was better on that horrible film screen protector.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter