Assistant not updating location

storminone

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I recently noticed assistant is not updating my current location unless I toggle the GPS function or stay at one location for an extended amount of time. Restarting the phone also triggers the gps. I found this out on vacation recently looking for the nearest gas station. Asked GA to locate one and all listed were far. Hit the closest one and went from 20 minutes away to 10 after maps figured out where I actually was. GA thought I was still in my hotel room. Being home now it still isn't updating the location. It seems to do it periodically. This is only on my Pixel not wife's S10. Her assistant functionality seems to still work.

If I leave for work and ask GA what is my location it will still say home after I have been driving for 15 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas? Everything is updated and nothing has been changed by me.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
I would check your Google location accuracy settings under location settings. Also check that location permission for google assistant is set to all the time instead of when using app

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I recently noticed assistant is not updating my current location unless I toggle the GPS function or stay at one location for an extended amount of time. Restarting the phone also triggers the gps. I found this out on vacation recently looking for the nearest gas station. Asked GA to locate one and all listed were far. Hit the closest one and went from 20 minutes away to 10 after maps figured out where I actually was. GA thought I was still in my hotel room. Being home now it still isn't updating the location. It seems to do it periodically. This is only on my Pixel not wife's S10. Her assistant functionality seems to still work.

If I leave for work and ask GA what is my location it will still say home after I have been driving for 15 minutes.

Anyone have any ideas? Everything is updated and nothing has been changed by me.
Is location permission on for google app?

storminone

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
All location permissions are on and all apps are updated. What I have noticed is Maps is working correctly. My location updates and searches show correct information. Seems to be a problem only with GA not pulling current location.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All location permissions are on and all apps are updated. What I have noticed is Maps is working correctly. My location updates and searches show correct information. Seems to be a problem only with GA not pulling current location.
I see , Google app plays a big role for Assistant, you want try clear it's data and force stop it , this will reset it ?

storminone

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I see , Google app plays a big role for Assistant, you want try clear it's data and force stop it , this will reset it ?

Tried uninstalling updates clearing cache going in to beta nothing seems to work. Was hoping June update would correct it but has not. For now I made the location toggle easier to access in quick settings and just have to hit it before using GA to refresh location.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Tried uninstalling updates clearing cache going in to beta nothing seems to work. Was hoping June update would correct it but has not. For now I made the location toggle easier to access in quick settings and just have to hit it before using GA to refresh location.
Wow :(
Make a report in Google

skwalters

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
Yes, it's been reported, but to an Android Auto forum. This is not an Android Auto issue, but it is one with Google Assistant. I have been reporting this for months and it is still not fixed. Google Maps recognizes your current location, but GA is stuck on some previous location until you reset the phone. I have checked and do have all the correct location settings, etc.

More and more people are finally reporting this issue, so I do hope it gets fixed soon.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, it's been reported, but to an Android Auto forum. This is not an Android Auto issue, but it is one with Google Assistant. I have been reporting this for months and it is still not fixed. Google Maps recognizes your current location, but GA is stuck on some previous location until you reset the phone. I have checked and do have all the correct location settings, etc.

More and more people are finally reporting this issue, so I do hope it gets fixed soon.
Hopefully they fix this :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12