AT&T just replaced my U12+ out of the blue

gargamel314

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Around midnight on 2 days ago, I got a creepy email from AT&T stating that my new phones had shipped (I did not order anything). I passed it off as a phishing email, and went to sleep. the next day, a package showed up on my doorstep. Lo and Behold, a brand new Cingular flip phone had arrived. So I called AT&T to make sure I wasn't somehow getting scammed. It turned out to be totally legit. They sent it to replace my mother-in-law's flip-phone. They also had sent me a Samsung Galaxy S9 to replace my U12+.

Why? AT&T is shutting down their 3G network in Feb 2022. They are sending free replacements for customers using 3G-based phones. Much to my surprise, they said the U12+ is a 3G-based phone that happens to be compatible with 4G and their 4G-LTE network. They said it had to be replaced by Feb.

My question is, what would be a better replacement for my U12+ that I've grown to love, given that I don't like Samsungs? I had decided on Sony XPeria, but they don't sell them. I believe my choices are Samsung, Google Pixel, Sonim, and iPhone

Anyone know anything about Sonim? I've grown to love the microphone array and the camera on the U12+, and Samsung's bloatware and locked down settings makes me not want one. I had an S7 for 2 years and hated it. Just looking for input on a new U12+ device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think what they meant is that your U12+ doesn't support VoLTE, which AT&T is now requiring so that you can adequately make phone calls.

I always strongly recommend Pixel phones because of their clean bloat-free interface, the superb camera software, and timely updates for at least 3 years. I've only heard about Sonim a few times on this forum, usually regarding one of their security apps called Scout. I think Sonim is generally intended more for enterprise.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Around midnight on 2 days ago, I got a creepy email from AT&T stating that my new phones had shipped (I did not order anything). I passed it off as a phishing email, and went to sleep. the next day, a package showed up on my doorstep. Lo and Behold, a brand new Cingular flip phone had arrived. So I called AT&T to make sure I wasn't somehow getting scammed. It turned out to be totally legit. They sent it to replace my mother-in-law's flip-phone. They also had sent me a Samsung Galaxy S9 to replace my U12+.

Why? AT&T is shutting down their 3G network in Feb 2022. They are sending free replacements for customers using 3G-based phones. Much to my surprise, they said the U12+ is a 3G-based phone that happens to be compatible with 4G and their 4G-LTE network. They said it had to be replaced by Feb.

My question is, what would be a better replacement for my U12+ that I've grown to love, given that I don't like Samsungs? I had decided on Sony XPeria, but they don't sell them. I believe my choices are Samsung, Google Pixel, Sonim, and iPhone

Anyone know anything about Sonim? I've grown to love the microphone array and the camera on the U12+, and Samsung's bloatware and locked down settings makes me not want one. I had an S7 for 2 years and hated it. Just looking for input on a new U12+ device.

My first preference is Pixel or iPhone since it’s a proprietary device from the OS developer optimized for their OS specifically. I dual carry both and each has strengths and weaknesses based on Android/iOS differences.