AT&T M8 Lollipop Update Zzzzzz

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
AT&T really, really sucks. Every other carrier approved it, but AT&T opted to piddle around and delay it. They couldn't even meet the March 31st quote before on a flagship device; though apparently they worked magic on the update for a 2 year old flagship phone that isn't remarkably different specs wise from the M8.
Now you know how us Verizon customers feel. XD

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Ugh.

AT&T has to get their stuff together for a major flagship phone. They can't jerk customers around like that and expect people to continue paying for their service. Then again, Sprint is (somehow) still in business, so...

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It seems they missed the mark on the M7. The OTA seems like it should have come out by now. Wonder if this means they will push back the M8 since it looks like they will miss the M7 date.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Ugh.

AT&T has to get their stuff together for a major flagship phone. They can't jerk customers around like that and expect people to continue paying for their service. Then again, Sprint is (somehow) still in business, so...
Sprint's customer service has turned around 100% in the past few years and it's network has drastically expanded over the last year or so. I've been with them for over 10 years and travel extensively and have been impressed with LTE coverage, and they are usually one of the first carriers to release updates. Wouldn't switch at this point.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
who gives a chit just to have a different os number phone works just great as it is unless u like starting new threads since lolli this doesn't work this changed that changed etc. kitkat works just fine

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
who gives a chit just to have a different os number phone works just great as it is unless u like starting new threads since lolli this doesn't work this changed that changed etc. kitkat works just fine

Not for the AT&T M8. After 4.4.3/4.4.4 update there has been a bug that causes the GPS to turn on often and something is keeping the phone awake. My battery drains after about 6 or so hours with regular use now. I'd like to get though the day, or at least manage to get home from work, without having to charge my battery after it hits 10% by 2 or 3PM.

Also, it's a matter of sheer incompetence at this point. Had Lollipop not come out on every other US carrier for both the S5 and M8 a month ago or longer then I would chalk it up to AT&T and the OEM's trying to clear out some of the Lollipop bugs. AT&T as this point is just being incompetent, wither they don't dedicate resources to work the updates or the hold it back to drive up M9 & S6 sales does not matter; it's still incompetence. I don't spend over a $1000 a year for being stuck with a buggy phone, a bug introduced by AT&T since no other M8's seem to have to, because AT&T can't or won't muster up an update and give absolutely no information to anyone about it. Judging by what HTC has said a few weeks ago, HTC is just a pissed as we are at this point.

budlight-budlight

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not for the AT&T M8. After 4.4.3/4.4.4 update there has been a bug that causes the GPS to turn on often and something is keeping the phone awake. My battery drains after about 6 or so hours with regular use now. I'd like to get though the day, or at least manage to get home from work, without having to charge my battery after it hits 10% by 2 or 3PM.

Also, it's a matter of sheer incompetence at this point. Had Lollipop not come out on every other US carrier for both the S5 and M8 a month ago or longer then I would chalk it up to AT&T and the OEM's trying to clear out some of the Lollipop bugs. AT&T as this point is just being incompetent, wither they don't dedicate resources to work the updates or the hold it back to drive up M9 & S6 sales does not matter; it's still incompetence. I don't spend over a $1000 a year for being stuck with a buggy phone, a bug introduced by AT&T since no other M8's seem to have to, because AT&T can't or won't muster up an update and give absolutely no information to anyone about it. Judging by what HTC has said a few weeks ago, HTC is just a pissed as we are at this point.

I don't know about the nuts and bolts just who care each phone is different and how it reacts I charge mine everyother day and work 12 hr days in a metal building where it can only sit in one spot to even get half signal never goes dead and works excellent compared to the thunderbolt experience camera can be tricky but other than that leave it alone in my opinion as with the carrier complaint another waste of time it is what it is old story never change why worry about it

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
and they are usually one of the first carriers to release updates.

This is very true. T-Mobile and Sprint are generally first for updates and don't tend to add as much bloat as VZW or AT&T. I haven't used Sprint in a long time but their customer service was less like "service" and more like "sadism" - but I am happy to hear that things have changed.

In my area VZW has up and away the best coverage. Other carriers get little or no signal at my house, VZW has full signal even in the basement so the choice is pretty obvious.

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site

i agree. the general public does not care about which version of OS we're on, and i bet they'd only download it if something popped up on their phones telling them too. this site is a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of OCD android users! ha.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
i agree. the general public does not care about which version of OS we're on, and i bet they'd only download it if something popped up on their phones telling them too. this site is a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of OCD android users! ha.

True. But we're the enthusiasts - the ones that enjoy our phones and push them to their limits. We also help others who have problems with their phones, or confirm that issues are occurring. We're a community built around these devices, so our tiny portion of OCD android users tends to want the newest and greatest - and we have the (completely reasonable) expectation that the update will not break our phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myicc