AT&T One UI 5.1 update causing issues

jokersmiley

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site
Did anyone else's AT&T One UI 5.1 update cause issues with their phone?

I have an unlocked S21 Ultra, and immediately after the update on 3/10:
  1. SIM card no longer recognized
  2. Phone started running hot and draining battery fast while idling

I tried resetting network settings, factory reset, go to AT&T store and get new physical SIM, new eSIM, check back-end settings with AT&T Tech Support, ran diagnostics at a Samsung Authorized Service Center (no hardware issues found) - and nothing worked :-(. The Samsung support worker theorized that #2 was a related to #1 (as he was seeing continuous failed attempts by phone to connect with the SIM subsystem)

Last thing left was to figure out myself how to downgrade it to the last known working OS version (One UI 5.0/Android 13 update AT&T issued on 2/21/2023, G998U1OYM5DWB2 etc.) - and that fixed it!

How do I get a message/feedback to both AT&T and Samsung that (a) they need to fix this issue for S21 Ultra, and (b) suspend all forced updates until it is fixed & verified?

Also, separately, why do I have to deal with this and waste my time? I've been trying to support Android & Samsung for several years now (as Apple needs competition!) but this latest episode is really testing my resolve ...

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: AT&T One UI 5.1 update causing issues

I have an unlocked S21 Ultra, and immediately after the update on 3/17:

I tried resetting network settings, factory reset, go to AT&T store and get new physical SIM, new eSIM, check back-end settings with AT&T Tech Support, ran diagnostics at a Samsung Authorized Service Center (no hardware issues found) - and nothing worked :-(. The Samsung support worker theorized that #2 was a related to #1 (as he was seeing continuous failed attempts by phone to connect with the SIM subsystem)

Last thing left was to figure out myself how to downgrade it to the last known working OS version (One UI 5.0/Android 13 update AT&T issued on 2/21/2023, G998U1OYM5DWB2 etc.) - and that fixed it!

How do I get a message/feedback to both AT&T and Samsung that (a) they need to fix this issue for S21 Ultra, and (b) suspend all forced updates until it is fixed & verified?

Also, separately, why do I have to deal with this and waste my time? I've been trying to support Android & Samsung for several years now (as Apple needs competition!) but this latest episode is really testing my resolve ...

Phones are starting to become a real pita anymore.... between the high prices, constant update issues with all the major players, privacy concerns, quality control issues, and most recently having to go back to my pixel 3XL, because my pixel 6 Pro and Flip aren't safe to use due to Samsung's chips being wide open for major hacks, I'll be honest I'm losing my phone excitement. They're just becoming another letdown in the last 3 and a half years of letdowns. :(

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: AT&T One UI 5.1 update causing issues

Fixed your Title with quote marks

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

HoldmyKFC

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site

I am having the same issue but with the S20 Plus Unlocked version. After the latest update my phone constantly says that my sim card is invalid and I've been using a AT&T sim card in the phone ever since I've had the phone with no issue. I can't even downgrade atm due to the binary number of my software.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am having the same issue but with the S20 Plus Unlocked version. After the latest update my phone constantly says that my sim card is invalid and I've been using a AT&T sim card in the phone ever since I've had the phone with no issue. I can't even downgrade atm due to the binary number of my software.
Welcome to AC
You try resetting network?

HoldmyKFC

Apr 30, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to AC
You try resetting network?
Yes I've tried it. I've also tried
Flashing the phone with different os's from unlocked to AT&T and Sprint
Wiping the cache
Clearing cache from sim tool kit
Multiple restarts and factory resets
Cleaning the sim card and using another sim card
I am unsure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be appreaciated. The only thing I can do is hope the next security patch will resolve the issue.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes I've tried it. I've also tried
Flashing the phone with different os's from unlocked to AT&T and Sprint
Wiping the cache
Clearing cache from sim tool kit
Multiple restarts and factory resets
Cleaning the sim card and using another sim card
I am unsure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be appreaciated. The only thing I can do is hope the next security patch will resolve the issue.
Go in device care under diagnostic can check sim status otherwise try Esim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty