ATT S20 firmware upgrade package

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
I've been reading up on using Odin to upgrade my Samsung which is stuck with an old OS, and I'm comfortable (I think) with that. However, I have a question regarding which firmware package I should use.

My ATT Samsung S20 is outside of the US and ATT's service, so it’s never received updates. It has one of the older Android 10 March 2020 updates currently installed. The most current firmware updates are for Android 12. Can I download the most recent Android 12 update and directly flash my old Android 10 to this one? Or, do I need to do this incrementally, by first flashing to the most recent Android 11 update available, then flashing to the most recent Android 12?
Thanks for the advice

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome and prompt response Mustang.

Here are the screens you requested.

I was going to download the updated firmware from Samfrew https://samfrew.com/model/SM-G981U/region/USC/ My current software is way at the bottom March 2020 (G981USQU1ATCH). I want the the most recent June 2022 update (G981UOYN2FVF1). I just wasn't sure if I could go directly from Android 10 to 12, or if I needed to first update to 11, then 12.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220802-125456_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220802-125456_Settings.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220802-125513_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20220802-125513_Settings.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 4

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome any questions let me know, it you decide the unlocked firmware grab the latest Odin called Patched B(Prince Comsey) use in the CSC slot of Odin the home CSC firmware so doesn't factory reset

Back everything up through Samsung smart switch on pc prior to doing anything

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
I've read through most of the topic. Just to confirm since I'm new to all this, your guide (https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=997334&p=6818771&viewfull=1#post6818771) says to use the Samfirm tool. Through this tool when I put in the model number and select TMB firmware I will get a useable non-ATT firmware to download?

I believe TMB is T-mobile, so I preusume what you are saying is TMB will work on my ATT (USC) phone, without all the ATT bloat and spashscreen.
Back to my original question, it also sounds like this will give me the most current firmware, so I guess I can fo directly from my old Android 10, diesctly to the current Android 12?

Thanks again

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Sorry, posted my last reply (which is still being held for moderation atm) before I saw your last message. Am I better off just going to an unlocked Samsung firmware, or should I stick with TMB. I am only using this phone internationally when I travel, so I just need a straight-up unlocked phone. Just wondering if I am better off with one or the other. Will the unlocked allow me to get OTA updates in the future?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've read through most of the topic. Just to confirm since I'm new to all this, your guide (https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=997334&p=6818771&viewfull=1#post6818771) says to use the Samfirm tool. Through this tool when I put in the model number and select TMB firmware I will get a useable non-ATT firmware to download?

I believe TMB is T-mobile, so I preusume what you are saying is TMB will work on my ATT (USC) phone, without all the ATT bloat and spashscreen.
Back to my original question, it also sounds like this will give me the most current firmware, so I guess I can fo directly from my old Android 10, diesctly to the current Android 12?

Thanks again
Took care that for you

Yes TMB or XAA CSC use next to your model number if going unlocked which will be G981U1 instead of G981U and it will take you directly to latest software version which will be Android 12

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks.
Not totally clear on which version is better.
Are you saying TMB (T-mobil) is better than ATT's bloat, but still there, or is it negligable?
Seems a bit easier going with TMB since I have the latest Odin on my computer, but willing to go the XAA route and download the Odin patch if it's appreciably better.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks.
Not totally clear on which version is better.
Are you saying TMB (T-mobil) is better than ATT's bloat, but still there, or is it negligable?
Seems a bit easier going with TMB since I have the latest Odin on my computer, but willing to go the XAA route and download the Odin patch if it's appreciably better.
TMB on carrier firmware is better but if your going unlocked version then makes no difference

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using AC Forums mobile app

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
I'll stick with better, downloading it now on frija.
Thanks so much for all the advice Mustang.
I'm sure it will all go smoothly, but you'll be hearing from be again if I hit a snag

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Hi @mustang7757 ,
You helped me get my phone updated last year. I figured it was time to do that again so I referred back here to the helpful information you provided. However, the link to your guide that you provided above no longer works. Does that guide exist somewhere?
Thanks so much

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi @mustang7757 ,
You helped me get my phone updated last year. I figured it was time to do that again so I referred back here to the helpful information you provided. However, the link to your guide that you provided above no longer works. Does that guide exist somewhere?
Thanks so much
Hello
This one ?

TAJourney

Aug 2, 2022
Visit site
Ok you have the carrier version , you can update this with Odin TMB firmware as Att firmware are garder to get or flash to unlock firmware which wont have carrier bloat or splash screen

I have made a guideline how to do it here

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=997334

That link just seems to be this thread. This link you provided last year is now a 404. As I recall it was a step-by-step on using Odin

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That link just seems to be this thread. This link you provided last year is now a 404. As I recall it was a step-by-step on using Odin
Ok I'll post the steps

This is the steps :

Windows computer needed

Latest Odin can Google it from XDA Forums and download the latest should be Odin 3.14.1 / and Frija tool or samfirm (i usually download both)

Download samfirm v0.4.1 tool and frija, extract it with 7zip.

You will extract files for Odin prince comsey 3.14.1once download with 7zip and will do same for firmware with 7zip .

Put your model number then region and select check for updates , then download the FIRMWARE , extract the FIRMWARE with 7zip.

There will be 4 files after you extract the firmware

BL

AP

CP

CSC

Each of those files will go in Odin when you open to the corresponding slots

BL

AP

CP

Home slot don't out anything

CSC USE HOME CSC FIILE TO SAVE DATA /THIS ONLY GOING BETWEEN CARRIER FIRMWARE OR IF YOUR ON UNLOCKED GOING BETWEEN UNLOCKED FIRMWARE

If you going from carrier to unlock firmware keep regular CSC not home CSC and do a back up it will factory reset the device.

connect your phone with cable to computer , once the files are in its slots hit start, once done you'll see pass in Odin and it will reboot

*Make sure you put phone in download mode
*If dont see your phone connected in Odin change cables or ports in computer .
*Never disconnect the cable in middle of flashing.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Samfirm and Frija give me a TMB version which is what I believe I used last time. My phone is an unlocked ATT and I still have the ATT splash screen even though I believe I used TMB last time. I did find an ATT version on Samfrew https://samfrew.com/download/Galaxy__S20__5G__/9xaq/ATT/G981USQS4HWE1/G981UOYN4HWE1/

Am I best off sticking to the TMB firmware from frija or Samfirm, or should I use the ATT version I found?
Yeah best to stick to TMB
Unless u want to go to unlocked firmware?