Authentication error occurred

mynewsIIImini

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Just bought a Samsung S III mini. I have connected it to my router, but the phone keeps saying 'authentication error occurred'.

I've tried 'forget', wifi off and on, phone and router off and on, all to no avail.

Anyone had the same problem and managed to solve it?

Cheers

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
First of all it sounds like you have entered the wrong security information to connect, so double check name, password and security type. Also, if you really want to "forget" I was told that you need to be outside the range of that wifi signal (or you could just turn off the router for a short time).

mynewsIIImini

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi Neil
Thanks for the suggestion. I am confident I am entering the correct password as the phone connects to the router ok (I've tried entering an incorrect one to prove this). I tried forgetting with the router turned off - this did indeed appear to forget it more so to speak, but the problem still occurs.

The phone picks up that the router is using WEP security and it is the WEP code I'm entering.

Any ideas?

mynewsIIImini

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Dear anyone who is interested.
In the end I managed to solve it myself.
I was using an old SMC modem/router that has worked without issue for years. I have linked 100s of devices to the SMC without a problem. However the phone would not. A new router/modem worked instantly.
Does Samsung know its phones will not work with old routers?

TechGirlAndroid

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Authentication error occurred - SOLUTION FOUND

Please copy and paste this in other forums to help other users.

So got my Samsung S3 last week, connected to my home Wifi no problems, I have my iMac and PS3 all connected to it.

Two days ago connection lost: Authentication Error Occurred.

The password was correct and I tried restarted and reinstalling everything (Boring and Long)

I tried the *#0011# and set the power save to off - Did Not Work

So for me the easiest solution with no need to change any settings.

GO ONLINE AND ENTRY YOUR MODEM ROUTER LOGIN (MINE IS ARRIS - http://192.168.0.1/)

SCROLL DOWN OR FIND: WPS SETTINGS

ON YOUR SAMSUNG CELL PHONE IN THE WI-FI SETTINGS HIT THE LEFT BUTTON AND SELECT: WPS PIN ENTRY

IT WILL GENERATE A PIN NUMBER

ON YOUR ROUTER SETTINGS SELECT ENCRYPTION MODE AND CHANGE FROM PBC TO PIN CODE

THEN ENTER IN ENROLLEE PIN CODE THE PIN GENERATED FROM YOUR SAMSUNG PHONE

PROBLEM SOLVED IT SHOULD CONNECT TO YOUR WIFI AUTOMATICALLY NOW.

YOU CAN LOG OFF THE ROUTER SETTINGS AND YOUR PHONE WIFI SHOULD BE CONNECTED.

I will update if i loose connection again but for now this worked, quick and easy and no changes made just connected via pin code entry

:D

Rajen Sharma

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Authentication error occurred - SOLUTION FOUND

Just bought a Samsung GALAXY STAR Pro GT-S7262. I have connected it to my router, but the phone keeps saying 'authentication error occurred'.

I've tried 'forget', wifi off and on, phone and router off and on, all to no avail.

Anyone had the same problem and managed to solve it?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Rajen,
The simplest troubleshooting step is to turn authentication off on the router (this is just temporary) - if the phone connects to this Open network without issue then you know it's just a matter of identifying the correct authentication method to use.

I've seen some folks profess that if you turn off WPS then the problems go away; other comments suggest that you be sure to select g/n rather than b/g/n. I can't comment on any of that, but the Galaxy S3 does seem rather picky about the authentication method in use.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

GaryK1992

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Ive had this issue for weeks ive tried everything and now I finally got it working get your self a dual band router and connect to the 5ghz signal works perfect I connected my sky to my old virgin media dual band router and everything works now I know its not ideal but at least it will be working

Posted via Android Central App

seak seak

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much TechGirl-I wish I had found this earlier. Only thing that worked, what was so puzzling was that other devices connected with no problem but old phone and replacement did not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol