Avoiding Automatic Updates

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
I've encountered this situation a few times in the past and just did so again today. Basically, I'll try to start up my phone, and at startup I'll get a message saying "optimizing apps" and then something like "1 out of 180." It does so, but takes several minutes. The problem is, like most people, I use this phone in large part for business, and if this ever happened at the wrong time it could cause huge problems for me.

Basically, how do I set it so that I have some control over when this happens, as opposed to it essentially choosing for me at seemingly random times? Also, if it DOES happen when I don't want it to, is there an emergency way to get out of it for now and still get the optimizations later? Thank you.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This might depend on the phone. For example, my Pixel 2 XL never updates the system automatically -- I always get a prompt. Which phone do you have?

Once the installation has begin, there's no way to abort it. When you first start the update, there is a short period of time where you can cancel it, but after that, you have to let it run.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I had this nightmare on a Moto G (1st gen, Lollipop 5.1).

IIRC this was a known bug with no solution. This occurred after powering the phone up, often during or after charging the phone but not exclusively.

js10

Aug 8, 2018
Visit site
Sizzers,

That's actually kind of hilarious. That's EXACTLY what I have!!! Guess that solves at least part of the problem. Well, it doesn't solve it, does it? But at least it explains it. And I guess it does, in that way, provide the resolution: get a new phone. Ugh.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo