Backup settings...

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Curious, do you backup your HTC One X?

If so, what software are you using?

I'm looking for a software that doesn't require one to be rooted, just simply out of the box and be able to backup settings, etc.

Thanks in advance

Ivan

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Oddly located under Privacy, is an option to back up your settings to your Google Account.

But this is settings for apps etc., only, not your data, music, pictures, etc.

Since all my important data is kept in the cloud(s), contacts on Google, music on Google Music, Pics uploaded if they are important, etc etc etc, settings are the only things I would lose when the phone falls out of the boat or under the bus.

All your Apps can be reinstalled on a new phones, and your settings will automatically be there when you check the restore box on that same page. Tested this recently when my wife had to replace her Atrix 2 while traveling. Took a couple hours to re-install all the apps.

This is not suitable for those that want to install roms obviously, but for joe user, its plenty good enough.

juststart

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I've only had one phone ever try to reload apps.... for whatever reason, none of my android phones will do this. I use the website though and just click install on a bunch of apps from the Play store to get it going faster.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I've only had one phone ever try to reload apps.... for whatever reason, none of my android phones will do this. I use the website though and just click install on a bunch of apps from the Play store to get it going faster.

I didn't say it would reload apps by itself, just that you could reload them any time you want, so there is no real point in backing up apps.
Game progress is often lost.

Sent from my HOX

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am curious as to how to keep my app data backed up without having root. Most apps only make backup to the SD card and since our 'SD' is internal memory I would hate to lose my app data if something goes wrong. Example: I use aCar to track my milage. But if my phone breaks I would lose all the data.

Iamdunne

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Oddly located under Privacy, is an option to back up your settings to your Google Account.

But this is settings for apps etc., only, not your data, music, pictures, etc.

Since all my important data is kept in the cloud(s), contacts on Google, music on Google Music, Pics uploaded if they are important, etc etc etc, settings are the only things I would lose when the phone falls out of the boat or under the bus.

All your Apps can be reinstalled on a new phones, and your settings will automatically be there when you check the restore box on that same page. Tested this recently when my wife had to replace her Atrix 2 while traveling. Took a couple hours to re-install all the apps.

This is not suitable for those that want to install roms obviously, but for joe user, its plenty good enough.

When I switched from skyrocket to HOX I noticed when I went to play store all apps I had were listed available for me to download again... System reset and same thing. Also my photos all sync automatically to drop box and music to Google Music, for me this is better then an SD card since I am mostly on wifi

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I am trying out Dropsync to back up my internal storage. It backs it up all up to dropbox, and can do it automatically if it notices a file has changed. But not sure how that will impact battery life and since it is a two way sync, I run the risk of my online files overwritting my local files and jacking everything up. But I want some way to keep my data off my phone, just in case....

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
How do you set this up?

My first attempt was to select the root phone storage directory and sync that with a backup folder I created on dropbox. That didn't work as it only copied 3 directories. So I created a backup folder on dropbox and in that I created all the folders from my phone storage that I wanted to backup. Then in the app I selected the local folder to sync and choose the folder with the same name I created on dropbox and let is sync. I repeated this for all the folders I wanted sync'ed.

Only been using it less then a day, so not 100% sure how good it will work just yet.

Reactions: anon(153966)

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
So Navi.. it appears you're back to using your One X again, so I presume you got a replacement? And if so, did the OTA 1.85 update resolve the WiFi and other issues that were bugging you? You seemed to be ready to return the HTC and go back to a Sammy. Just curious.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...the replacement I got lasted all of a day and a half!

I'm on my Skyrocket now, awaiting the shipping\delivery of my Samsung Galaxy S III.

The One X, even with the latest update still has issues with WIFI, and even the responsiveness of the main screen. It would lockup from time to time. It is not to say I even had 'odd' apps and widgets installed. Weird really.

But, I will certainly not be trying it again. Albeit, I'm happy that it just works for some people. Seems people with the international version don't have as many issues.

So Navi.. it appears you're back to using your One X again, so I presume you got a replacement? And if so, did the OTA 1.85 update resolve the WiFi and other issues that were bugging you? You seemed to be ready to return the HTC and go back to a Sammy. Just curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manza