Basic Skyrocket rooting questions - please help a rooting noob

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I have tried (twice now) to root my Galaxy SII Skyrocket, using this quickie root

Instructions from the link above:
(1) Download Samsung Kies [google search] and install it. But don't Open it.
(2) enable "USB DEBUGGING" from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)
(3) enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES" from (Menu\Settings\Applications)
(4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes
(5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC

Download this file and extract the contents into a fresh folder on your desktop:
DooMLoRD_v2_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su.zip

......... all I did was run the "RUNME.bat", 5 minutes later after no user intervention, i have a legit rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket.

So, I tried all that and I don't think it worked. I saw a lot of "failed" messages in the DOS window that opened when I ran the zergRush batch file.

How can I confirm if the rooting worked? Do you have to do all your rooting in a DOS window? This rooting has me a bit confused. But I am so sick of the bloatware on my phone that I will suffer through the learning curve of rooting to get rid of the junk.

Many thanks for any help. :)

-

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Basic Skyrocket rooting questions - please help a rooting noo

Try SuperOneClick. It works on this phone and it really couldn't be any easier. Here's a link.
[APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers

Did you download the drivers for the Skyrocket? Its usually the reason people have errors while trying to root. you can find the drivers at the link below.
Skyrocket_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip

You might also want to disable any virus protection for a few min while rooting. Sometimes it conflicts with certain root exploits. Hope this helped :)

Reactions: Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Try SuperOneClick. It works on this phone and it really couldn't be any easier. Here's a link.
[APP]SuperOneClick v2.3.3 - Motorola Exploit Added! - xda-developers

Did you download the drivers for the Skyrocket? Its usually the reason people have errors while trying to root. you can find the drivers at the link below.
Skyrocket_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip

You might also want to disable any virus protection for a few min while rooting. Sometimes it conflicts with certain root exploits. Hope this helped :)

Thanks. When I used the original rooting link (in first post), the directions said I only needed to have Samsung Kies installed, but not open.

I have been confused about the ADB drivers. I am going to try and learn about ADB. Is there a good place that describes ADB and how to download/use those drivers?????

Thanks again. :)

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site

What kies is doing when it installs is installing the drivers. If you've done that you should have the correct drivers installed. In that zip I posted, there is a program that just installs the drivers. Don't let the term ADB intimidate you, the drivers are necessary only so your phone can be recognized by the computer.

ADB is the Android debug bridge. It basically allows you to send your phone commands via your computer. SuperOneClick and other root methods need the ABD drivers for your device to interface with it. Below is a link that explains everything in further detail as ABD is a very powerful tool that can do much more, it would take me forever and a day to explain it all.
Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

That said, you don't need any experience with ADB to root this phone. SuperOneClick really is a one click root tool for most Samsung and some Moto devices. What it does is run an ADB script, it would take quite a bit of time and patience to learn how to run all the commands for zergrush manually.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chevy-SS

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

Oh well, I give up. The SuperOneClick didn't work either. :(

Thanks anyway

-

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Hmmm I don't understand why its not working on your phone, thats the program I used and it literally took less than 5 minutes to achieve root access. :confused: If you have vista or windows 7, are you right clicking the program and running as administrator? That needs to be done when opening SuperOneClick or ZergRush.

Here's a great Skyrocket info thread if you feel like giving it another shot. It links to a lot of helpful threads that covers everything from rooting to flashing roms and radios. There are 4 different root methods on that thread, perhaps you can find the one that works for you.

The "all-in-one-location" XDA Skyrocket General Info/Root Method/Kernel/ROM Thread! - xda-developers

Last edited:

trumpetdude88

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

I'm a super noob at this since I had an iphone for a very long time. I love my skyrocket so far! What is the purpose and advantages of rooting the phone?

Also, will rooting void your warranty?

Chevy-SS

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site

.... If you have vista or windows 7, are you right clicking the program and running as administrator? That needs to be done when opening SuperOneClick or ZergRush.............

This may be the problem........ I'm running XP and when I try right-clicking, I get the option to 'run as', but it does not say "Administrator". I watched a YouTube vid and the guy was running Win 7, so I know exactly what you're talking about. Maybe I'll try rooting again and then copy the screen so you can see what I mean.

Thanks again

mikeysmikey

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm a super noob at this since I had an iphone for a very long time. I love my skyrocket so far! What is the purpose and advantages of rooting the phone?

Also, will rooting void your warranty?

The purpose of rooting is to allow the user more control and access the the core (root) of the device. The advantages are in customization. Many apps that modify the look or performance of the phone require root access to edit framework and/or system files. Anyone who wants to get the absolute most out of their phone should root. Users beware: rooting voids the warranty, and if done incorrectly (using the wrong method or files) can result in a brick. Remember, ODIN is your friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk