Battery drain using AccuWeather app

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I've used the AccuWeather app forever on my iPhone and now on my X. I finally glanced on GSam and it indicated some serious drain, like 20%. To tip that off the phone would overheat to 110F if I played Angry Birds 2 (level 340).

I removed it and battery drain is gone and the Birds are much cooler, barely hitting 100F...

Others have mentioned the issue on the Google Play store, I'll try on my work Nexus 6 (aka Moto X+) and see what happens.

I did not do anything after Marshmallow update ie delete and install again...

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I've used the AccuWeather app forever on my iPhone and now on my X. I finally glanced on GSam and it indicated some serious drain, like 20%. To tip that off the phone would overheat to 110F if I played Angry Birds 2 (level 340).

I removed it and battery drain is gone and the Birds are much cooler, barely hitting 100F...

Others have mentioned the issue on the Google Play store, I'll try on my work Nexus 6 (aka Moto X+) and see what happens.

Hi, it's the first I've heard of the issue, I have the Moto X Style too. I'll download it and play about with it and see if I get battery drain. How often were you syncing for weather updates on the app?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I have had Accuweather Platinum installed for a week or so on both my Mxpe and Nexus 6p and have not seen a battery drain that you mentioned. I have the refresh setting set to High Frequency( 30 minutes).I will keep an eye on but so far no issues on either phone, for it being a battery drain for me.

I dont use the Accuweather widget just use the notifications info by the way

turbo93

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I had the default - whatever that was. There's an option to show temperature on the status bar, removed that, no difference. Also no widget just the app.

What could be also is to reinstall after Marshmallow... I'm trying on my work phone which is still Lollipop.

But the Angry Birds issue was unreal, 15-20 min and easily 108F. Without AccuWeather hardly at 100F.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had to uninstall AccuWeather premium from my pure. All of the sudden it was using 35% of my battery. I hope it gets fixed because it was my favorite weather app.

Posted via the Android Central App

zuben el genubi

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the Platinum version and it's using nothing unless I open it.
I simply turned off all the alert notifications on the bar. They only appear on Accuweather when I open it.

Platinum is also a paid app - no ads running in background. I do have an ad supported version of Weather Underground, but the ads don't run in the background.

I've got a direct link to NWS and can check alerts there.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't use it with my MXPE, but I have it in my tablet. The last update says that fixes battery drain problems.
So any of you experiencing problems maybe you should try it again.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I gave up on the Accuweather ( premium ) years ago. The feature set and layout of Weather Underground ( paid ) are a perfect fit for my usage.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I run AccuWeather and don't have the battery drain you describe.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

doa70

May 1, 2016
Visit site
Old thread, but did a search and ended up here. Also seeing AccuWeather responsible for ~45% of my battery usage over a couple of weeks. I'm yanking it in favor of Wunderground.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci