Battery life since update (January Security Patch)

tbkfan

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 6P for about 2 weeks. Battery life has been amazing.

Yesterday there was a system update. Something about security. I'm on 6.0.1.

The update took about 30 mins to complete. When it started my battery was well over 90%. When it was finished, it was down to 62%. I didn't think too much of it, just figured that system updates are CPU intensive plus the screen was on the entire 30 mins.

This morning I went to the gym for my typical morning workout. Phone was fully charged when I left the house. Plugged into my Android Auto car stereo (charging) on the way to the gym. So it was at 100% when I got to the gym.

Typical 45 min workout. BT heat rate monitor and BT headphones. Streaming google music. Screen off for 95% of the 45 min workout. Last week, I would expect to see the battery drop to maybe 95% with this sort of typical workout.

Today... it was down to 70% after the workout!

I plugged it in on the way home from the gym and then had it plugged in again as I went out to run some errands. By 9:45, the battery was down to 60%. I checked the battery stats and it is telling me that Facebook accounts for 14% of the battery use so far today. All other battery usage categories are below 3% except for screen and android system which are 7% and 4% respectively.

I am a pretty light user of Facebook. I will look at the feed maybe once or twice per day. Is Facebook really the culprit here or is the update more to blame? Perhaps Facebook isn't optimized for the latest update? Has anyone else noticed this?

I am considering removing the Facebook app and just using Chrome but is there a way to limit the background power/data usage of Facebook?

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Battery life since update yesterday

I don't have any issues with FB. I keep all background sync and notifications off for FB though.

tbkfan

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Where do I turn off background sync for Facebook? I see the notification setting but not a setting for background sync.

NeilMex

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

I haven't had any issues with it since the update but I do find that every now and then the phone appears that it won't go into it's doze state. A reboot seems to fix any issues that I've had.

Cheers,
Neil.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

Consider uninstalling Facebook and Messenger and using Metal instead. It's a shell for the browser version of Facebook that operates a lot like the actual app with almost none of the overhead of the Facebook app. Give it a try.

I was never sure if Facebook was causing a drain or other issues but I found Metal and now I'm positive it's not causing problems because it's not on my phone.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I had an issue after the update but a cache partition clean out took care of it.

Pirate Arr

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Facebook is notably always a major contender it and Messenger. I use the browser if I ever care to see what my annoying 'friends' have posted whether baby pics or egotism.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Frost Nexus 6P

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

My battery has been the same. I don't expect it to be good on the first 24-48 hours after the update for things to settle in again.

TruPlaya187

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I'm new to Android and today I saw two post concerning cleaning the cache partition and that it fixed the issues.

If you can and have time, could you let us know what needs to be done to clean the cache partition.

Thanks in advance!

TruPlaya187

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

I had an issue after the update but a cache partition clean out took care of it.

Hi, I'm new to Android and today I saw two post concerning cleaning the cache partition and that it fixed the issues.

If you can and have time, could you let us know what needs to be done to clean the cache partition.

Thanks in advance!

tbkfan

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I uninstalled FB all together. Can't say that I have noticed a significant improvement today. I think the update that Google pushed out has had a negative impact on battery performance.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

After every update I reboot, then wipe the cache partition. Some people even reboot once more after that. Wiping the cache partition should be the first troubleshooting done, as it seems to resolve many issues that crop up after updates.

Sent via the Comm Center of the Trigati

Poohbear

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I uninstalled FB all together. Can't say that I have noticed a significant improvement today. I think the update that Google pushed out has had a negative impact on battery performance.

I'm also having the same issue as well. I don't have facebook, so I know it can't be that. I checked battery life and it shows as the phone always being awake and never falling asleep or dozing. I charged it last night, before going to bed and i'm now at 35% battery left. Before it would last two days. I'm going to try and reset the phone and hopefully that fixes the problem.

VermaEklavya

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

Easiest way is go to Settings > Storage and USB > and click on Cached Data. It will ask you if you want to clear/delete Cached Data, press OK.

The name of these options may be different depending on your Android version and skin, but if you get the gist, you can get to it without difficulty.

Posted via the Nexus 6P!

Mickfl

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I checked my phone this morning and it dropped about 9% overnight, since the last few updates my battery life is much worse

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Easiest way is go to Settings > Storage and USB > and click on Cached Data. It will ask you if you want to clear/delete Cached Data, press OK.

The name of these options may be different depending on your Android version and skin, but if you get the gist, you can get to it without difficulty.

Posted via the Nexus 6P!

No, that's not the cache partition. You need to go into the recovery menu to get to it. Google "how to clear the cache partition on a Nexus 6P" and the instructions will be in the first few links.

Sent via the Comm Center of the Trigati

TruPlaya187

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

Posted via the Nexus 6P!

Great!!!

Thank you very much for this information. I just did it and rebooted my phone. Now I will keep an eye on it in the next couple of days.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

Just to let you know here is how you clean the cache in recovery .This quote below is from a guide showing step by step

Power Down the Nexus 6P
Once the Device is Off,
Press and hold the volume down button while holding it down press and hold the power button down .
Continue holding these two buttons until you see the Fast boot Mode Screen
When you are in Fast boot mode, you can let go of these two buttons

Once in Fast boot Mode, Press the volume down button
This Should Highlight the ‘Recovery’ Mode
When ‘Recovery’ Mode is highlighted, Press the power button to select this option
This will take you to a black screen with a Green Android laying down
From here, press and hold the the power Button, then press the volume up button, while still holding the power button down
Release the volume button just before releasing the power button
When Done Right, You’ll Immediately be Taken to the Recovery Mode Menu

Press the volume down Button to control the highlighter
Highlight the ‘Wipe Cache Partition’ Option in Recovery Mode
Then press the power button to select this option
Make sure the ‘Yes’ Option is Highlighted
Then press the power button to Select This Option and Confirm the Wipe
Wait Until the Nexus 6P Wipes the Entire Cache Partition
Once the wipe has been done you will see the Recovery Mode Menu Screen again
Then ..
Press the volume down Button to control the highlighter
Scroll down to Highlight the reboot or power off in the Recovery Mode Screen