battery not the same after tizen 3.0

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Frontier BT version. Battery life was never the same after the upgrade, including after factory reset. Too bad.

Used to get a whole day using aod with 25% like left, now get 2/3 of a day without aod.

All app usage the same before/ after.

billsterjito

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I have been getting about the same Battery life as I was prior to the update. I don't generally have the AOD on but I take my Gear off the charger at around 6 am and put it back on around 11 pm with around 70% battery life left.

johnmcc0710

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I read on another thread to power it off at night, and let it charge all night then power it back on. I tried that and so far it is back to normal

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
The only time that I charge my S3 is when I am in the shower. Other than that I wear it all day and night. I typically don't use AOD but even when I do the battery still lasts. I use Endomondo on the S3 when running to track position, time, heart rate, etc. The battery still lasts.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The only time that I charge my S3 is when I am in the shower. Other than that I wear it all day and night. I typically don't use AOD but even when I do the battery still lasts. I use Endomondo on the S3 when running to track position, time, heart rate, etc. The battery still lasts.

me too. i dont use endomondo, but do use it for everything else fitness-wise. still getting good battery usage too.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I recall those days of putting my watch on in the morning and having 70% battery when I went to bed. The update really messed that up. Now I'm ending with 30-40% on a good day.

jchwila

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
I downgraded from 3.0.0.1 to 2.3.2.3. It feels like a new watch. After 12 hours with 2x30 min SHealth bike rides battery is @86%. wow.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I've got another data point to add here. I also updated my T-Mobile Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0 a couple months ago. After doing a factory reset, turning off continuous heart monitoring, etc., I still did see a hit to my battery, though nothing catastrophic, i.e. it's about 4.5-5% drain per hour during the day, and 2% per hour if I wear it to bed. It's enough to get through a 24 hour cycle, but barely. I usually charge my watch for about half an hour in the middle of the day, and once again in the afternoon after I go jogging (Samsung Health is a big drain), but if I didn't then I imagine I'd be at 5%-10% at the end of 24 hours.

It's hard to tell how much of this is due to Tizen 3.0, because I've owned this watch for two years and the battery life was getting progressively worse even before the upgrade. For reference, out of the box my watch was discharging at about 2%/hour during the day, and about 0.5%/hour at night. Right before I upgraded, I was getting about 3%/hour.

I'm going to take my watch to a watch repair shop this weekend or next week to get a new battery (apparently, some normal watch repair places are now able to replace smartwatch batteries). I'll report back a couple days after I get this done to let you guys know what kind of battery life I'm seeing.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Frontier BT version. Battery life was never the same after the upgrade, including after factory reset. Too bad.

Used to get a whole day using aod with 25% like left, now get 2/3 of a day without aod.

All app usage the same before/ after.

I had the same experience. I had the S2 prior to this and upgraded to the S3 Frontier specifically for the AOD, which is now completely unusable. That was bad enough, but just yesterday it got worse.

A few days ago the watch took an OTA update. Then yesterday, in the middle of the day, for no apparent reason, the watch just shut down. Hitting the power button gets the Samsung logo briefly but then it just shuts off again. None of the options in the reboot menu have any effect. This $300 watch is now completely useless.

Never again, Samsung. Never again.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Update to my previous reply. I'm using a different watchface from Facer and my battery life is a little over a day. Not looking good for this face.

It seems like the faces from Facer are more battery intensive. This face doesn't have much going on, on the screen though.

daves221

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
using aod because that's why I got the watch among other things. can't get a full day out of it like I used to. shealth usually kills my battery. too bad.

anon(463177)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
You guys must be BT. I have LTE and I go from 6 to 11 and end up with 40-ish depending on how I use the phone. Less if I have lots of calls. 40 will NOT get me through another day. I miss the Pebble sometimes.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Since the recent update on gear S3 frontier my overnight battery drops into the 75-80% range whereas b4 update it only dropped into low 90% range from full charge b4 bed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc