Battery replacement

sta18ff

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone done a battery replacement themselves? Doesn't look too terrible, but hate to mess it up, as there are currently no phones available that I want to replace it with if I ruin the Z in the process. I was looking at the ifixit kit for $40. Alternatively, does anyone know what a repair place would usually charge to do it? It is obviously out of warranty at this point.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I haven't cracked open a Z Force but have replaced a screen on a Z Play and it didn't look too more difficult to get to the battery. But then again the Force is a little different with that Shattershield screen. My local shops charge $60 - 80 just to start working on the phone + parts + more if it's not a standard phone (aka, anything other than a simple iPhone repair). That's when I bought a phone repair kit and started replacing broken screens myself.

sta18ff

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Decided to give it a go myself...and I'm very glad I did! Bought a heat gun for $9 at Harbor Freight, $15 battery on eBay (it appears to be OEM as advertised) and a $6 roll of double sided tape. I followed the ifixit guide, and the two hardest parts were getting the two glass panels off the back (took more heat than expected, and ended up using a super tiny precision flathead screwdriver bit, as the plastic tools weren't working, as well as peeling the battery from the housing, due to extremely strong adhesive. I am now back to having amazing battery life! I think I will probably end up sticking with the phone longer than planned, even with the Z3 on sale for $10 a month.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Destroying the screen isn't really as much of a problem as most phones because of ShatterShield. I did my former phone (now my daughter's) last night. Screen flexes quite a bit with no damage.

I did break both top and bottom glass pieces trying to remove them (used a SlyPry on the bottom one and it cracked instantly; top one flexed a bit but then busted). I put packaging tape over the open spots in the shell and she has the phone in my old Incipio DualPro so you can't even see them. I figure if I need to crack it open again (maybe for a new camera glass?) this gives me much simpler access. Still might order the glass pieces eventually.

Still have to do the wife's... Any additional advice to keep from breaking the glass(es)?

sta18ff

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
My only tip for removing the glass pieces is use as much heat as you can without melting or damaging anything. It took more than I expected. Once I got the edge of tiny screwdriver under I heated it again to soften the glue, pried a tiny bit, heated again... Also I saw somewhere that you can buy replacement glass pieces for top and bottom.

ericaph

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I just replaced my battery with the iFixit kit (includes OEM battery.) Also, I'm a complete novice but figured trying is worth $40 vs buying another phone.

SOOOO Happy! My phone would fully drain about 3 or 4 times a day & randomly shut down. After replacing the battery yesterday evening, I followed the calibration instructions then played on the phone. Went to sleep with it at 15%, 12 hours later (including streaming video for an hour) I'm still at 50%!!

As others said, way more heat needed than expected. I ended up using a knife to pry off the glass ends.
Also, the tape on "top" of the battery, attaching it to the copper colored bit - that was destroyed, so I'm really hoping it's not integral to function.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armydudeJC