Battery since May OTA

kamax

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Here is what fixed my battery life. I went to settings/developer options/ changed run time to ART.
Takes a while to reboot. Once this was done im back to having battery for 2 days or more. I read that ART is in beta and some apps may not work with it. So far all my apps are fine and battery life is back to how it should be. Hope it works for you.

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Here is what fixed my battery life. I went to settings/developer options/ changed run time to ART.
Takes a while to reboot. Once this was done im back to having battery for 2 days or more. I read that ART is in beta and some apps may not work with it. So far all my apps are fine and battery life is back to how it should be. Hope it works for you.

I'll give her a try. Thanks, Kamax!

kamax

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hope it works as well for you. Ive been on battery for 39 hours and just hit 50%. I haven't been using the phone a ton as Ive been working but it was no where near this before I switched to ART. I was lucky to get 24 hours on one charge.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
My battery didn't have an issue from the OTA. However, I am in Florida, I am using Couch to 5K, I am listening to on-device music, I am outside a lot, I have bluetooth and location on, and you know how bright the sun can be down here, so I have to crank the brightness to the max to see outside. The auto brightness feature sucks inside. I am easily in the 50% left range at the end of the day because of that. Stupid Florida sun, LOL! Otherwise, I'd be fine.

I just charge it every night, though. But the OTA itself, I've had no noticeable issues.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The auto brightness feature sucks inside. I am easily in the 50% left range at the end of the day because of that. Stupid Florida sun, LOL! Otherwise, I'd be fine.

There is an app called Lux you should try. Not only does it make auto-brightness better inside, it makes the Maxx readable with auto-brightness outside, too. The stock auto-brightness just doesn't work outdoors on a sunny day on this phone, Florida or not (I'm not in Florida). There is a lite version you can try out (though it may be good enough so that you don't need the paid version).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.vitocassisi.luxlite&token=fKmK6i0q
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&token=e1MWh6HI

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
There is an app called Lux you should try. Not only does it make auto-brightness better inside, it makes the Maxx readable with auto-brightness outside, too. The stock auto-brightness just doesn't work outdoors on a sunny day on this phone, Florida or not (I'm not in Florida). There is a lite version you can try out (though it may be good enough so that you don't need the paid version).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.vitocassisi.luxlite&token=f2OhDPII
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&token=G0628Fee

I will look into this and see if it makes a difference. Thank you for the tip. Again its just the bright Florida sun in the summer time; I didn't have this issue in the winter.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Installed Lux Lite just to give it a whirl. Will try it for a few days and see what I think. But it appears to use the front-facing camera as its light determining factor. Where I am sitting, if I hold my camera up in the air as if to take a picture of the ceiling light, the brightness goes to 4%. If I lay the phone on my stomach in the same spot, it goes to like 54%.

So it's a start. And no matter what I do with the stock brightness setting, Lux overrides that, which is good, so there's no confusion. Lux makes itself the default brightness app. And now, I test it tomorrow and over the next few days and we'll see if it works. Again, thanks for the tip!

copywrite

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Installed Lux Lite just to give it a whirl. Will try it for a few days and see what I think. But it appears to use the front-facing camera as its light determining factor. Where I am sitting, if I hold my camera up in the air as if to take a picture of the ceiling light, the brightness goes to 4%. If I lay the phone on my stomach in the same spot, it goes to like 54%.

So it's a start. And no matter what I do with the stock brightness setting, Lux overrides that, which is good, so there's no confusion. Lux makes itself the default brightness app. And now, I test it tomorrow and over the next few days and we'll see if it works. Again, thanks for the tip!

Make sure you link your preferred brightness levels with the ambient light. For example, if you notice the screen is too bright open the app and adjust the brightness to your preference, hit the round yellow circle in the middle, and press "link". It will remember these "links" for the future and adjust accordingly. After you have done this for a couple days in different brightness levels, you should notice that the screen is always set to a comfortable brightness. It really is a great app.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you link your preferred brightness levels with the ambient light. For example, if you notice the screen is too bright open the app and adjust the brightness to your preference, hit the round yellow circle in the middle, and press "link". It will remember these "links" for the future and adjust accordingly. After you have done this for a couple days in different brightness levels, you should notice that the screen is always set to a comfortable brightness. It really is a great app.

Yeah I was reading the tutorials and such last night. I'm just going to give it a general whirl in the next few days and see how it goes before I save settings. But from where I was sitting in the house, it was pretty consistent on its own without having to save anything. Anywhere I went it was like automatically perfect. I didn't have to do a darn thing. Now going outside and working out? It WILL be a different story in the Florida sun, but inside the house, based on last night, if that holds, I won't have to do any tweaking or saving or linking or anything. THAT right there impressed me about the app. I could save them anyway for posterity, but the fact is, in messing around with it, it seems to be working. But I'm about to go on my outside run, so that'll be the big test.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I was reading the tutorials and such last night. I'm just going to give it a general whirl in the next few days and see how it goes before I save settings. But from where I was sitting in the house, it was pretty consistent on its own without having to save anything. Anywhere I went it was like automatically perfect. I didn't have to do a darn thing. Now going outside and working out? It WILL be a different story in the Florida sun, but inside the house, based on last night, if that holds, I won't have to do any tweaking or saving or linking or anything. THAT right there impressed me about the app. I could save them anyway for posterity, but the fact is, in messing around with it, it seems to be working. But I'm about to go on my outside run, so that'll be the big test.

Well... it seemed to work well outside and adjust automatically between sun and shade trees I ran under. And as I walk around the house it adjusts. Somehow I don't think I'm going to need to save settings like it allows you to. It's like it knows me and is adjusting perfectly. That was a damn good suggestion by Doogald to try this app. Let's see how it does over the weekend now and get a much fuller feel for it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Well... it seemed to work well outside and adjust automatically between sun and shade trees I ran under. And as I walk around the house it adjusts. Somehow I don't think I'm going to need to save settings like it allows you to. It's like it knows me and is adjusting perfectly. That was a damn good suggestion by Doogald to try this app. Let's see how it does over the weekend now and get a much fuller feel for it.

I installed it a few weeks ago after reading some good reviews in the past. Though I liked using it, to try to determine if it was contributing to battery drain issues I decided to uninstall it last Sunday (it didn't make it better to uninstall, fwiw). But I did notice that when I was standing outside in the sun that the phone's screen was unreadable in bright sunlight with automatic brightness on. It hadn't been like that with lux. Add to the fact the crazy dimming that happens when you are indoors with automatic brightness without lux and I decided to reinstall.

It's a great app.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I installed it a few weeks ago after reading some good reviews in the past. Though I liked using it, to try to determine if it was contributing to battery drain issues I decided to uninstall it last Sunday (it didn't make it better to uninstall, fwiw). But I did notice that when I was standing outside in the sun that the phone's screen was unreadable in bright sunlight with automatic brightness on. It hadn't been like that with lux. Add to the fact the crazy dimming that happens when you are indoors with automatic brightness without lux and I decided to reinstall.

It's a great app.

On the battery drain, I've been using my phone heavily for working out programs, music, watching NHL games on the way home as wife drives, etc. as of late. Used to be I could go 2-3 days without charging. Now I am at 50 percent or lower at night on average due to this super-heavy use (but still, other phones would have long died, I love my MAXX!) But I HAVE noticed a difference with lux for my personal usage. It's not like 20 percent, it's more like 5 percent of the battery, maybe 10 max, but percentage is percentage. And 5 percent on the MAXX is, what, 20 on another phone without the massive battery? So definitely a great app for me. I've already installed it on my wife's phone and my mother-in-law's phone, both MAXXs. Basically, I told them how to use it easily. We don't need to fix the settings; for how we use our phones in regards to screen brightness, it's already perfect (as I've said before.)

Doogald, I don't mean to embarrass you, but you really kick *** on here. Every time I have a question, you seem to have a good answer or at least try to help the best you can, and that means a lot.

Definitely glad

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Doogald, I don't mean to embarrass you, but you really kick *** on here. Every time I have a question, you seem to have a good answer or at least try to help the best you can, and that means a lot.

You bet. That's why we all post here, right? To report problems, ask questions, and try to figure out solutions?

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Crazy battery life today. I can't understand the inconsistency with this phone sometimes. I think my office exchange email must draw tons of battery, because on weekends it always seems to improve. It's never listed as one of the highest battery suckers. Anyone have an issue with their work email using up excessive battery.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1402883609192.jpg
    1402883609192.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 1402883624835.jpg
    1402883624835.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 20

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
You bet. That's why we all post here, right? To report problems, ask questions, and try to figure out solutions?

And you definitely are very great at doing that. One of my favorite posters. When I see your name, trust and reliability come to mind.

Crazy battery life today. I can't understand the inconsistency with this phone sometimes. I think my office exchange email must draw tons of battery, because on weekends it always seems to improve. It's never listed as one of the highest battery suckers. Anyone have an issue with their work email using up excessive battery.

Well, given I am using GPS location and MapMyRun more, and Google Play music for my own personal downloaded music, and the like, my battery usage is akin to yours. Since I've gone gung-ho working out, I have more battery use. I bet I'd kill my old Droid 4 in four hours, if that, lol. But Lux (discussed a few posts earlier) has improved things by 10% more battery life easily, so I'd try that. Worth a shot as one possible solution.

As for your actual issue on work e-mail, I defer to others who may be more knowledgeable, except for this following bit: Do you HAVE to have a work e-mail ASAP when it comes through, or is it something you can set the refresh to be like once an hour (or two, or four, or whatever), and you just manually refresh if you need it sooner? Is there an app maybe you can try for further help, besides Lux that I mentioned on the screen bit? Because every bit helps.

Wish I could be of more help, but I'm sure someone will give you better advice than me. They always do. They won't fail me (I hope), lol.

EDIT: I see in another thread I walked into that you use Lux, so I guess I wasted my time typing that, LOL! Oh well. No biggie. :)

Last edited:

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Haha, thank you for the feedback. I'm ultimately just curious to know what could account for the inconsistency. I find that my battery use during the week is generally worse, which is why I correlate it to my work email, however, I travel and drive a lot for work, so maybe the geolocating has something to do with it too. I've also noticed that any gaming on this phone seems to kill the battery more rapidly than anything else; even more than I would expect considering how the battery performs with "general use". Either way, I'm not overly concerned. For the most part, it gets me through a day without fail, with exception to when I play games. Yesterday though, I was on pace for almost 9 hours of screen time, which is significantly better than I've ever gotten, but I did also clear the partition cache 2 days ago for the first time since the update, so maybe that also has something to do with it. Who knows?... Lux is a fantastic app btw... I love it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatiko