be weary of good "reviews" of the camera.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
fool me once...

after getting my g6 after all the good camera reviews, i was shocked on how bad it is. nexus 6p, released 18months prior, smoked the camera.

notice all the reviews use inanimate objects that hides over processing due to cheap hardware very well. compared to dedicated camera reviews; they are very skin shallow and easy to cheat. the g6 processing optimized to produce a 5x7 image, which just happens to be the low res sites like to use now.

g6 screen is also bad compared to n6p. I don't even like oversaturation, but the white balance is horrendous blue with meh color contrast at low light levels eg inside. n6p color accuracy and contrast much closer to real life, and my nice computer monitors and televisions. funnily, my lg made n5 lcd screen has much better color to the g6. they made huge compromises in getting a larger screen.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/l...iew-compared-my-old-nexus-6p.html#post6244968

https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g6/848158-lg-g6-camera-so-bad-2.html

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Galaxy s9 camera reviews were the same way. They all said how great it is, but take a picture of a person, and there is no detail.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When it comes to cameras, LG has been lacking if you just want a tap and shoot auto camera. If you're someone that likes shooting in manual and saving as a RAW file to edit later, they are some of the best. It's not a hardware issue limiting them as the OP suggested, but their over processing.

The sad thing is, review sites only like to show off the camera in auto mode. Check out the photo threads in the various LG flagship forums (I.e. The G and V series phones), and you'll see some phenomenal photos from users that know what they are doing and pushing the limits of the hardware.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i can't speak for the galaxy. but on the g6 its sharpness and especially color accuracy in teh shadows on iso 300 and above. it's way overprocessed muddled mess.

does your skin look natural and true to life on your galaxy. or is it clayed out like the g6 shots?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
fool me once...

after getting my g6 after all the good camera reviews, i was shocked on how bad it is. nexus 6p, released 18months prior, smoked the camera.

notice all the reviews use inanimate objects that hides over processing due to cheap hardware very well. compared to dedicated camera reviews; they are very skin shallow and easy to cheat. the g6 processing optimized to produce a 5x7 image, which just happens to be the low res sites like to use now.

g6 screen is also bad compared to n6p. I don't even like oversaturation, but the white balance is horrendous blue with meh color contrast at low light levels eg inside. n6p color accuracy and contrast much closer to real life, and my nice computer monitors and televisions. funnily, my lg made n5 lcd screen has much better color to the g6. they made huge compromises in getting a larger screen.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/l...iew-compared-my-old-nexus-6p.html#post6244968

https://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-g6/848158-lg-g6-camera-so-bad-2.html

You are talking about the G6 in the G7 forum. There's been changes made.. the V30 was a bigger improvement from the G6. The G7 is their latest.. personally I thought the G6 was a weak flagship, almost downgraded from the V20.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
took a picture of my foot messing around with my s9 camera and I could count the hairs. plenty detailed

There's a big debate with 12MP vs 16MP. I've had the Galaxy S7 with 12MP (after the 16MP from Galaxy S6) and I immediately noticed a drop in quality.. I like to crop and zoom but with a 12MP those images zoomed in look pixelated due to lower resolution. Not saying the S9 has a bad camera, but from my experience LG has a sharper image but colors are bland (however they improved it on the V30, boosting the colors so people can like it more). You can always install the Google Pixel 2 camera app with post processing.. looks very good. Bottom line, personally I prefer a 16MP even if the focus speed is slower or the sensor is bigger.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
G7 camera will be serviceable probably, good in some cases, bad in others, it probably take blurry pictures of moving subjects, I'll try to test G7 camera when I'll see it in stores.

S7 camera review were kinda ofa lie, i used it a lot and it wasn't that great, many pictures had oil painting, over processing and lack of detail vs G4 or Note 5.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
There is a LG G7 vs. LG V30 by Android Headlines on YouTube. Consensus is camera is ok, but a step back from the V30 in some cases.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
G7 camera will be serviceable probably, good in some cases, bad in others, it probably take blurry pictures of moving subjects, I'll try to test G7 camera when I'll see it in stores.

S7 camera review were kinda ofa lie, i used it a lot and it wasn't that great, many pictures had oil painting, over processing and lack of detail vs G4 or Note 5.

Agreed. I don't know how the S7 received positive reviews on the camera.. (paid advertisements by Samsung maybe? Their CEO went to jail for a little bit). LG looked sharper and clearer.

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I don't know how the S7 received positive reviews on the camera.. (paid advertisements by Samsung maybe? Their CEO went to jail for a little bit). LG looked sharper and clearer.

G4 had the best camera setup of any LG phone in my opinion, don't care much about wide camera or any phone camera this days, as i have the Nikon D850.
But when i bought the G4, each shot was amazing, and it had decent 8MP selfie camera in 2015!!!, how they screwed on selfie cameras till now idk

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
video has similar findings. g7 uses heavy post process on pictures to artificially sharpen and dial up colors. this looks fine on pine cones but it's very apparent when viewing people's skin tones and faces. Just like the marques blind comparison video; it shows. The pixel 2 seems to have much better video due to stabilization as well.

if you like heavily processed images of sharpening and color boost, you can just batch apply that in post process. (like instagram filters).