News Best cell phone for seniors 2024

AC News

Apr 13, 2023
Visit site
Plenty of seniors know which smartphone brands they prefer. But if you or an older family member are having trouble finding the right fit, we're here to help. We've compiled a list of phones helpful for those with mobility, dexterity, hearing, or vision problems or those who find smartphones overwhelming.

Best cell phone for seniors 2024 : Read more

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Post in thread 'Not happy w/free Xfinity Pixel 7 ! ... Phone app incoming & keyboard don't go full screen ??' https://forums.androidcentral.com/t...oard-dont-go-full-screen.1061113/post-7169744

We accepted . .

"~ a promo offer for a "Free Pixel 7" for an elderly family member of whom we take care of, (and who has extremely progressed Macular Degeneration in her eyes, to the point that she can barely see)." ~

"The problem:
When an incoming call comes into the Pixel 7.... there' s only a small 1.5"~2" bubble notification that pops up, about 1/3 of the way down from the display top. Rather than a full screen incoming call screen (like our samsung's & her LG). Same with keyboard; it only opens to 2/3's the height of the display, rather than a full screen keyboard (like our samsung's do). And now she can't see where to tap since the Pixel pop-up buttons & keyboard are so much smaller. Last night she was in tears, saying that she no longer felt like she had a phone to use, or that she could use &c." ~

~ "We couldn't find any setting adjustment for either."

We . . . "~ Gave-up on the Pixel 7; returned it, and ordered a Galaxy A54 5G via Amaz, ~"

Our 'senior' family member is much happier with the A54 5G.

Last edited:
Reactions: BEaRebel

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
I personally find the title of this story to be rather condescending. I have no problem with being referred to as a 'senior,' but the implication is that we are all legally blind, feeble, or dim-witted. I am 71 years old with 20/15 vision, can bench press my own body weight, and don't consider my abilities as exceptional or unusual.

Maybe a better choice would have been "Best cell phone for people with accessibility issues"? This covers mobility and vision challenged individuals, as well as anyone with physical, sensory, or cognitive disabilities that limit or restrict usability. More importantly, people of any age can fit this category.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I personally find the title of this story to be rather condescending. I have no problem with being referred to as a 'senior,' but the implication is that we are all legally blind, feeble, or dim-witted. I am 71 years old with 20/15 vision, can bench press my own body weight, and don't consider my abilities as exceptional or unusual.

Maybe a better choice would have been "Best cell phone for people with accessibility issues"? This covers mobility and vision challenged individuals, as well as anyone with physical, sensory, or cognitive disabilities that limit or restrict usability. More importantly, people of any age can fit this category.
Speaking as a legally blind person posting from an S24 Ultra, and I would say arguably one of the more tech savvy members of the community, I don't think your generalisation is any better than theirs. May even be a bit worse.

Reactions: gendo667

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Speaking as a legally blind person posting from an S24 Ultra, and I would say arguably one of the more tech savvy members of the community, I don't think your generalisation is any better than theirs. May even be a bit worse.
You certainly have a right to your opinion (as do I), but I don't see where I generalized (other than in the negative, to make a point relevant to the original post), nor do I do see what tech savviness has to do with the topic at hand.

That said, if you took my comments as a slight to anyone with impairment or disability, that was certainly not my intention. I apologize if it came across that way.

Reactions: tismydroid

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site

I'm inclined to agree. For accessibility problems: That can come at any age, as Mr. Lucky pointed out.

For computer literacy: I know an elderly computer programmer, who was using a computer at home to manage his affairs back in the 1980s! He's been computer literate for longer than many of you have been alive. Conversely, how many young people do you know who even know what an operating system is? I'm guessing not many.

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps the author just needs to marinate on planet .
In a bank, at 33 yrs old - a young man stated, "and if you are a SENIOR, you can take advantage of our..."
They just do not know what they speak of ( of)...yet.

I'm quite proud of my 84 yr old parents. Friends their age would have a CVA on spot If they knew what the could do. Mom is AMAZING. Nope, never discuss my age .