Best email setup....

TechSavvy2

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello all, I found posts elsewhere on here, but no answers and old threads, and didn't want to respark them so help would be appreciated.

I have an HTC Thunderbolt with HTC Mail App (obviously) and would like to set it up for immediate email reception. Other people have reported getting email notifications within 5 seconds of sending themself a test email but I'm not even close to having this happen. My email client is gmail.

For those of you that are going to do the same old song and dance, I'm not interested in using the gmail app, or K9, or whatever you most likely going to tell me to use anyways. I've done my homework, done many trial and error, and the stock HTC Mail app is what I'm going with, and now I want to optimize it.

What I've found so far is to set my gmail account up through activesync, and use the following:
email address: my full email address
server address: m.google.com
domain: google
username: my full email address again
password: my password
check for requires encrypted SSL connection

Now I talk about this ^ like I know what I'm doing, but this is what I've picked up from multiple other sites. It works, but it isn't fast at all. Matter of fact, I sent myself a test message half hour ago and still haven't got it yet. Maybe set up as different account type? Different settings? Settings within gmail (actual online mail client) itself? As rediculous as many may think it is, I need my email immediately. I don't have that right now. If anyone could help me to figure out why, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

TechSavvy2

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, I mess with this for a couple months, post on here, then figure it out myself after half hour....

Thought I would update so anyone who searches this in the future can feel like less of an idiot than I did...

So I still used the Exchange Activesync with gmail account. All settings were correct as before. The difference........open mail app -> Menu -> More... -> Settings -> Send & Receive Settings (or whatever yours says, mine is rooted and rom) but find "udate schedule", and at frequency, peak times is at push mail. Leave this. Off peak WAS at every hour......I figured this could be left alone as it was getting pushed to my phone and should show up anyways.......turned out I was wrong. So I set this to push mail also. So now frequency during peak and off-peak are both push mail. Sent myself numerous test emails and I receive them literally THE SAME SECOND I hit send in my browser.

Now I don't know much about this stuff but from the little I've read, my phone isn't actually "checking" for email every ten minutes or 20 seconds or whatever other people were saying with some types of accounts. There is no sync icon ever, unless it actually receives new messages or sends composed messages. Ever. And it works perfectly. I don't know about battery life or blah blah blah that other people say but yeah, it works perfect for auto updates to the second. Any input from others on if this was a bad idea or things to watch for, just let me know.....

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
On the Evo: I use the default mail application for work and for IMAP it is Kaiten Mail. On the Acer A500 work is Touchdown, IMAP is Kaiten Mail. The default application allows the receiving of work email; however, the sending of mail to people not in the work system does not work, and I am unable to find anything that allows changing of the port.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly