best IR remote app?

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested to use my S5 as a TV remote and tried the Smart Remote app and found it too limiting. It makes you pick a Zip Code and TV Provider, and be locked into that choice for whatever TV's/Cable Boxes you add.

I do a lot of traveling and would like to add TVs & Cable Boxes for wherever I go, so once I return I'll be able to just select where I am and use the S5 as a remote accordingly.

I suppose I could do that now with the Smart Remote app by setting up different "rooms" for locations, it's just the guide data would be worthless when I'm away from my house.

Any suggestions?

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm interested to use my S5 as a TV remote and tried the Smart Remote app and found it too limiting. It makes you pick a Zip Code and TV Provider, and be locked into that choice for whatever TV's/Cable Boxes you add.

I do a lot of traveling and would like to add TVs & Cable Boxes for wherever I go, so once I return I'll be able to just select where I am and use the S5 as a remote accordingly.

I suppose I could do that now with the Smart Remote app by setting up different "rooms" for locations, it's just the guide data would be worthless when I'm away from my house.

Any suggestions?

I skipped guide data with the built in app. I don't have cable in my room so I just selected the TV.

Eric Ruiz1

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Any suggestions?

Too limited? It picks a designated "main" setup but you can easily go to menu and select for other setups. Also refers channels that are on tv. I have samsung tvs through my entire home along with DirecTv. My one setting works for every single tv and directv box so im content with it