Best of a bad bunch - going back to the V30

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok so 'bad bunch' may be harsh but my point is that every phone I have used over the last 12 months has had some niggle for me. The V30 camera is not the best and I was not a fan of the system menus but I think that it ticks more boxes than other flagships at least for me at the moment and is a decent price too.

Thoughts on the others.....

S9/S9+ - Samsung phones always seem to chew through a lot of battery when just sitting there doing nothing and the S9/9+ are no different and for the exynos variant is actually worse than the preceding model. Also even with the newer faster chip it still feels hampered by bloat. Lastly IMO the S9 is slightly too small and 9+ too big

Pixel 2XL - Ugly design (IMO) and bigger than it needs to be for a 6" phone, Inferior screen, no expandable storage(or 256gb option). The best software experience imo but I cannot get past that hardware.

Mate 10 Pro - Always on display does not support 3rd party apps which makes it pointless imo, does not play nice with 3rd party launchers, no media volume sync over bluetooth, no expandable storage(or 256gb option)

OnePlus 5t - No expandable storage(or 256gb option), No always on display at all, security concerns!

iPhone X - Gestures, gestures and gestures useable screen not much bigger than iPhone 8, iOS (no AOD, home screen customisation) Honestly think the 8+ is the best current iDevice available

Of the above the Mate 10 pro is the closest and I like it a lot but that AOD is a showstopper right now when others have a far better implementation.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I've had the V30 for a few weeks now, and I love it. It is really a solid all aroung phone. I came from a G5, and love the camera. I have family with an S8, and a the latest Note, and the camera is just as good as those two, if not better than the S8 in my opinion. The battery life on this phone is nothing short of amazing to me. I can actually make it through a full day of pretty heavy usage. I'd prefer a completely flat screen, but the V30's curve is much less pronounced than the Galaxy line. I hate sumsungs curved screen. Way to much, and hard to protect, even in a case. The screen problems that were reported with the V30 are such a non issue. The screen is beautiful, and yes if I tilt it at an angle u can see a blue tint on white areas, but I don't use my phone at an angle. I swear, I think complaints like that prove that there truly is an Apple/Samsung conspiracy going on.