Best unroot method

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I've checked my S3 in Recovery mode and my binary says "No" but my system status in settings says "modified". This means it's still rooted right? Any of you know of a good, simple unroot method I can follow to get my device status back to normal?
I've done a factory reset and the status still says "modified"?

Posted via Android Central App

chustle925

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Is Super Su app installed on your phone? Download root checker form the app store to verify that you're rooted. If you are rooted and have SuperSu on your phone, you can unroot from within the app.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
What version of Android is on your phone? (4.1.2, 4.3....) And did you ever accept the 4.3 OTA or apply the 4.3 update via Kies? The answers to those questions will affect the answer to your question.

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, root checker says "sorry, this device does not have proper root access". So why does my device status still say "modified". I did have Super SU. I did un root via that app. and thought I was unrooted. But somewhere in here (forums) stated that if your device status says modified that is an indication you're rooted. Hence why I assumed I was someway still rooted. Apparently though the phone is not capable of getting OTA updates while the status is modified. That's why I'm trying to get that status back to normal. So I can get updates. I am running 4.1.2 and the phone hasn't had an update since I rooted about 6 months or so ago. I really appreciate you guy's help! I love this website!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, superSU really doesn't take you back to stock configuration. It disables root access, but that's all.

Since you posted in the Sprint forum, I'm assuming you have a Sprint phone. If that's not the case, DO NOT FOLLOW this advice.

The best way to unroot a Sprint phone,, I think, is described here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...-30-2012-sprint-only-unroot-return-stock.html

But in order to run the first part of that procedure, to get rid of the modified status, you need to be rooted. You could follow the steps here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...e-updated-how-root-your-sprint-galaxy-s3.html bu there might be a simpler way.

IF you still have a custom recovery (CWM or TWRP) try this first, and if it doesn't work you can follow the procedure I linked to, or reroot with whatever method you used before. If you don't have a custom recovery, you'll need to reroot from the beginning:

1. Download the SuperSU flashable zip from here: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip | by upndwn4par for Galaxy S 3 Note the countdown timer on the right. Wait for it to hit zero, then download from any of the mirror sites that appear.
2. Copy that zip file to your phone's memory or SD card. DO NOT unzip the file.
3. Boot into recovery, and install the SuperSU zip, then reboot the phone.
4. Check to see if you've regained root. If so, follow the unroot and return to stock procedure linked above. This will actually return your phone to Android 4.0.x. You'll be notified of 3 OTAs. The first two are Android 4.1.2, the 3rd will be Android 4.3.

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for the advice... I will give an update of my results (if it worked or not) after I try it out! Appreciate it!

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
OK got a "Failed to very whole-life signature" message when I tried to download in recovery mode the easy SU root method way. I guess I'll wait to get to a computer to try again another way... Sigh...

Denisew 1972

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok, all is well and root is gone! Yay, thanks so much for your help. In on 4.3 now, and status says "official".

tyyoung

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if the procedure also works if I am already operating on 4.3? The link says DO NOT FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE IF YOUR PHONE HAS RECEIVED THE OFFICIAL UPDATE TO ANDROID 4.3. ATTEMPTING THIS PROCEDURE WITH A PHONE WHICH HAS BEEN UPDATED TO ANDROID 4.3 WILL PROBABLY HARD BRICK YOUR PHONE.
I need to return to stock to update to 4.4.

Sprint GS3
Stock Rooted

Last edited:

Hari Ganeshz

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
hi friends im new to android central friend my deviece is rooted with super su how can i un root my mbl im using 4.2.1 android version and my mbl is cellkon a15

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the forums!
how can i un root
If you open the SuperSU application, select the SETTINGS tab, then scroll down to the section titled 'CLEANUP' you'll find an item labeled 'Full unroot' - try that.
haryzyda.jpg

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

jambas10

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey I'm getting a message every morning saying that "my phone did not read the sim your device will restart in order to read it" when I restart it has usually stayed the same way. I'm thinking this has to do something with the device and not the Sim card. I'm about to unroot my device to see if this problems goes away but first I would like to know your recommendations! 💪😉(my callsign lol) and
thanks.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to unroot my device to see if this problems goes away
Did the problem start when you rooted your device? If not it's highly unlikely that unrooting it will solve the problem.
Frankly the easiest thing to try is a new SIM card. If that doesn't pan out then it's possible that it's the SIM tray. http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-sim-card-tray-repair/

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

jambas10

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I unrooted My device and it didnt do it but I rooted it again so I hope that by tomorrow I will see if it was a thing by rooting it or not. If not I will get a new Sim card.

sshoaib

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Am using Samsung galaxy s5
Model:SM-G900F

I had root acess viaa odin..
now i want to unroot it..
and i tried via SuperSU.

root checker says "sorry, this device does
not have proper root access". So why does my
device status still say "modified". I did have
Super SU. I did un root via that app. and
thought I was unrooted. But somewhere in
here (forums) stated that if your device
status says modified that is an indication
you're rooted. Hence why I assumed I was
someway still rooted. Apparently though the
phone is not capable of getting OTA updates
while the status is modified. That's why I'm
trying to get that status back to normal.

So
I can get updates. I am running 4.4.2 and
the phone hasn't had an update since I
rooted about 2 months or so ago.

Help me pls

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
Apparently though the
phone is not capable of getting OTA updates
while the status is modified.
You need to use Odin to reload the stock firmware - that should take care of your modified status. Look here for your firmware - select your device in the drop-down list in the upper left corner.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly