Best Way to Destroy a Tablet?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Nexus 9 and thought it was a great tablet, but stopped using it after Google started releasing their Pixel XL line of phones. Now I alternate between my phone and desktop/laptop computers and will probably never buy a basic tablet again.

I kept it plugged in and would use it occasionally for media consumption. Then the battery began to swell, but it wasn't bad and the device still worked. However, now it won't power on and the casing is separating. I unplugged it and made sure it was powered off.

What is the best way to ensure that any data that remains on the internal storage is destroyed? The casing is separated enough that it would be easy to let it soak in water/vinegar. Would this do the trick?

Second question, I have accounts for various services with Verizon/AT&T/Tmobile. Will most of their corporate stores recycle e-waste for free or with a minimal charge?

The tablet is garbage, but I'd rather not toss it in a dumpster. I also have some 3G only devices from 8-10 years ago that can no longer be activated and would not even be practical to use as a wifi only device. It would be nice to recycle them as well, at little to no cost.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Any data on there should be secure, it's located on a storage chip very few individuals would even know how to locate much less unsolder from one board and solder it to another. Even if they got that far data is encrypted.

Of course if you get the device recycled, it gets melted down and destroyed for the raw metals in it.

As to where you can get it recycled you would need to check locally. I worked for a Verizon retailer in the past, we took old electronics because we had a local company that recycled electronic waste for us.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I was going to suggest taking the tablet to a rifle range and put a bunch of .308 rounds through it. :cool:
However, recycling the tablet is probably the more responsible thing to do as opposed to more fun thing to do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The only thing about e-waste recycling is that there have been some bad actors that just ship the waste overseas (where it probably doesn't get truly recycled, or gets recycled improperly or dangerously) instead of responsibly recycling the materials themselves. See these links:

https://sadoffelectronicsrecycling.com/blog/electronics-recycling-scams-and-shams/
http://www.electronicstakeback.com/how-to-recycle-electronics/beware-of-fake-recycling/
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/4/...ic-basel-convention-crime-total-reclaim-fraud

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Any data on there should be secure, it's located on a storage chip very few individuals would even know how to locate much less unsolder from one board and solder it to another. Even if they got that far data is encrypted.

Of course if you get the device recycled, it gets melted down and destroyed for the raw metals in it.

As to where you can get it recycled you would need to check locally. I worked for a Verizon retailer in the past, we took old electronics because we had a local company that recycled electronic waste for us.

Thanks for sharing your technical knowledge and giving me a little piece of mind. I rarely used it for any sensitive work, but it's nice to know that the data is still encrypted and would be difficult to access. I get why people always say you should wipe working devices before trading them in or selling them.

I've even purchased old devices myself that people forgot to wipe, but never considered how easy it would be to recover the data on a non-functioning device.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was going to suggest taking the tablet to a rifle range and put a bunch of .308 rounds through it. :cool:
However, recycling the tablet is probably the more responsible thing to do as opposed to more fun thing to do.

LOL.You actually reminded me of this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

From what I remember, he actually removed the hard drive before commencing with the execution. Hopefully, father and daughter have patched things up since.

Once Covid lets up, it would be fun to go out to the gun range again, and I know some people that would gladly take up your suggestion.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your technical knowledge and giving me a little piece of mind. I rarely used it for any sensitive work, but it's nice to know that the data is still encrypted and would be difficult to access. I get why people always say you should wipe working devices before trading them in or selling them.

I've even purchased old devices myself that people forgot to wipe, but never considered how easy it would be to recover the data on a non-functioning device.

The guys here are (kinda) joking about shooting up your tablet, but the most secure way to protect your data IS to physically destroy the memory chips, otherwise there is always a very small chance someone could access the data on them.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
LOL.You actually reminded me of this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl1ujzRidmU

From what I remember, he actually removed the hard drive before commencing with the execution. Hopefully, father and daughter have patched things up since.

Once Covid lets up, it would be fun to go out to the gun range again, and I know some people that would gladly take up your suggestion.

I remember that video! :-D