Best way to source parts for discontinued phones?

LettoLetto

Apr 11, 2019
Visit site
Hi, just wondering what the best way would be to get parts for a discontinued phone? I recently got my hands on my sisters old LG Optimus G E973, it needs the front glass & possibly a digitizer after being dropped on pavement years ago when it was about 1 year old causing the screen to break, it still turns on & display shows up OK but not registering touch input, I emailed a bunch of local cell phone repairs today to get a repair quote & only heard back from 2 so far, 1 said " We are currently not able to source the parts for this phone as LG Electronics Canada has stopped manufacturing for these phones." & another place said unable to source parts, so I'm wondering if the parts are no longer being made for a almost 7 year old flagship, what are the odds that there may be some New Old Stock available for it somewhere?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Not to be overly correct but the front glass and the digitizer are usually one in the same so I'll assume you meant screen/display. Anyway, I too have had some issue with finding parts for phones. The best advice I can offer is Google and changing the phrasing on your searches. While some may call it the front glass, others will call it a digitizer and others still may have a combo display to offer, where the digitizer and display come pre-assembled. Another tip would be to look for offers of the device "for parts". It may have gotten wet or overheated or the battery may have just gave out and the owner doesn't know what's wrong, want to spend money to repair it or even realize what is wrong. eBay will usually be a good source for these types of devices.

One thing to keep in mind though is, according to your description, this is a pretty old device and in this disposable world we live in you may have some serious difficulty finding a phone that is at least 7 years old. You might have better luck advertising for "in search of" like on Craig's List. People may be sitting on one and not have even thought of selling it or their kids might be playing with it as they are considering upgrading themselves. At any rate whatever you find should be pretty cheap so that's a plus.

Best wishes and good luck.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To be frank, I don't think it'll be worth it trying to fix this phone. Even if you got the parts free and was able to do it yourself, it's so old and outdated that it'll be barely functional at best. You may find it riddled with other problems that make it nothing but a headache.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was actually thinking something similar. But surely it would be a DIY and could possibly be rooted for fun. It wouldn't make a good daily driver but may have other uses.