Better than Nokia 5 at same price point?

johnny77777

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm in the market to purchase a mid range Android as a gift for wife, in the 200 EUR range.

Personally I'm coming from Windows Phone and haven't yet made the jump to Android, however from what I've read there are better devices out there at similar price points than the Nokia 5.

Am I looking at an Honor/Huwaei? Asus? Moto? Can anyone recommend what would be comparably better than Nokia 5 because a lot of reviews I've seen kind of say, "As decent as Nokia 5 is, there are better out there at similar price points." My question is which phones?

The big thing for her is the quality of camera. She's coming from a Lumia 930 and Lumia 925 (930 recently broke so she's back with her 925), so I'm looking preferably at 5 inch or 5.2 inch screen with a good camera. Camera is the most important.

I also don't want anything that I won't be able to remove the bloatware from. I understand some manufacturers, including Nokia market the new devices as coming with pure android and none of the extra BS installed. Big plus for me, unless it's a non-issue and possible to remove all the bloatware, which I had found with a 2015 version Galaxy A5 Samsung I was trialing recently was loaded with bloatware that couldn't be removed. So the "Pure android" is a biggy for me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Moto G5 Plus (or the more recent Moto G5S Plus) is a good choice. My wife has the former, and really likes it -- it's fast, has great battery life, and has pretty minimal bloat and hardly any customization to the UI (i.e., it looks "stock"). Not sure how much it is in Europe, but in the US, you can usually find the 32 GB version for around $200. The G5S Plus has some improvements, and I think goes for around $250.

Kayza

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Give a look at the Moto G5Plus or G5s Plus. (The non-plus may work for you as well.) I don't know how good the camera is, but most reviewers do look at that, so you should be able to get a sense of whether this makes sense. I do know that it's not flagship level, but nothing in that price range is going to have that.

GSM Arena is a good site for getting a handle on specs, and it's also a good starting point for reviews.

johnny77777

Nov 12, 2017
Visit site
Thanks both, yeah as of now I'm still going with the Nokia 5 for her. The design on the Moto G5 Plus that you each mentioned is terrible looking IMO. That also would be an important piece, along with the camera and screen size of 5-5.3 inches. At the end of the day, she'd probably prefer the Nokia too, even if it's comparable.