Beware of changing prepaid plans with unlocked S8/S8+ on verizon

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I know this is is a very specific situation but anyone I could help would be an accomplishment to me.

I have Verizon prepaid on my Galaxy S8 (Factory unlocked Best Buy unit) for over 8 months so far never had a problem until today.

Verizon has a new family prepaid option and it's very VERY buggy. The customer support doesn't know how to handle a lot of things because it's so new they just say "get a new phone" or "go back to best buy"

the problem occurred when fixing my wife's new iPhone SE simcard after activating her phone they suggested that We update our phone plans to the new cheaper plans with more data after doing so it said my phone is no longer compatible with the SIM card They told me to go ahead the next day to the Verizon store and they would supply a free SIM card and have my phone bill cheaper and everything working

For some odd reason after having service with Verizon on my unlocked S8 it stopped working due to a Verizon error not picking up the unlocked phone.

It took customer support and employee support at the store over 2 hours to get my phone backup and running and the data wasn't working the 1st 40 minutes after walking out of the store (the verizon customer support had to "Force" activate the sim car before it would work)

TLDR: If you have a unlock Galaxy phone and all is working do not change plan or modify your plan in any way or you will have a big headache. Was it worth saving chay $5? not at all

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's called an account that was provisioned wrong. Once they got that fixed, it takes anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days for data to start working. That's normal for a newly-provisioned account.

Was it worth saving $5? I wouldn't have, but that's me. I'd save money (and I do) by not using Verizon. They're usually the most expensive carrier.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Was it worth saving $5? I wouldn't have, but that's me. I'd save money (and I do) by not using Verizon. They're usually the most expensive carrier.

I've used tmobile, metro pcs and virgin mobile all have had either really low signal or no signal at all in my area. I gave in and got Verizon and that phrase "You get what you pay for" could not be more true for my situation because I went from almost no signal to 35MBPS, and it wasn't even my idea to save the $5 the customer support was the one that did it lmao

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I've used tmobile, metro pcs and virgin mobile all have had either really low signal or no signal at all in my area. I gave in and got Verizon and that phrase "You get what you pay for" could not be more true for my situation because I went from almost no signal to 35MBPS, and it wasn't even my idea to save the $5 the customer support was the one that did it lmao

I was using T-Mo for awhile and while I have no ill will towards them Verizon's coverage is better where I live so I switched back. As far as expense goes I'm getting 7GB of data with roll over for $50.00 a month. T-Mo wasn't any cheaper but ironically was much faster than verizon where I got a signal.