Bluetooth Issue

George Smyth

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I've got a Galaxy Tab A8 and just purchased a new pair of headphones. The headphones pair perfectly with my phone, but my tablet does not even see them. Scanning shoes a host of other possibilities, but not the headphones.

As far as I know I am up to date with updates (last updated 8 May 2024) but am wondering if there is something in the tablet that is too old to recognize the headphones?

I do not know much about these things, so perhaps there is something fundamental I am missing, but the fact that the headphones pair easily with my phone tell me that there may be an issue with the tablet.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Have you made sure the headphones are not currently connected to your phone while trying to pair them with your tablet? Turn Bluetooth off on the phone first then try to pair the headphones with the tablet.

This is one of the big bugbears of Bluetooth I find that it is not very clever (or tries to be too clever) at giving the user control over which devices connect as wanted. Originally designed so that one device would connect with one other (ie phone and headphones) and bodge after bodge to allow, say a family, to share use of the Bluetooth connection to the living room speaker. The only reliable solution I have found is to only have Bluetooth turned on for the devices I currently want to connect. I use the third party Bluetooth Audio Connect app/widget on my phone and tablet to help me manage this.

George Smyth

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes, Bluetooth is turned off on my phone when I try to connect. The hew headphones replaced a pair that I lost that had no problems connecting to the tablet, which is why I am wondering if there might be something with pairing something new with something old.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try doing a factory reset on the headphones (check the manual to see how), and then go through the pairing process again with the tablet.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you know the manufacturer and model number of the headphones?

Don't factory reset the tablet yet -- that's more of a hassle.

Reactions: mustang7757

George Smyth

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Resetting seemed to help in that it now sees them, but when I click to connect nothing happens. I can connect without a problem on my phone, but turning the phone Bluetooth off still does not allow me to connect to the tablet. When I click on the gear next to LE-OpenRun Pro I get no options, but get "Calls" and "Audio" options from other connection possibilities. I'm sure that the headphones are not connected to anything else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, but let's take a step back -- you say the tablet sees the headphones now. Have you paired them successfully? "Pairing" and "Connecting" are technically separate steps. A BT device can be paired but not currently connected.

George Smyth

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I now see the headphones in the list of paired devices, but when I tap to connect nothing happens. Perhaps that means that they are paired but cannot be connected (I'm not sure of the difference)?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are the headphones also paired with other devices (like a phone)? If so, forget the headphones on those devices, and see if that helps.