Bonsai v4.1.0 beta 9

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just read the thread on XDA, glad I didn't jump in. They'll get it working, they make a good rom.

Ditto... I'm happy on 4.0... tried to flash the 4.01 update and it did not take well at all, so I restored my nandroid backup and reverted... using 4.0 w BS 1.28low kernel from his newest ROM... seems a good combo for me for now...

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
First of all, thanks for all the work you and Mammon have shared with us. One thing I would like explained are the pros and cons of journaling. Also, what is new in CWM 3.0.2.4? Is it backwards compatible for 3.X uses? Thanks.

Greetings and sorry for delay. Doing the Embedded Linux and Android conference this week in San Francisco.

CWM 3.0.2.4 is just the latest version of CWM recovery. This is work in progress and still needs some clean up and a more complete install on our beta release. One interesting feature is a "power-off" option which may prevent having to pull the cover and battery a bit more often. It also seems to have better usb performance as I have noticed not having to plug and unplug the usb cable between reboots and it seems faster. I've not verified that there are code changes to confirm this change in behavior.

It seemed good enough to offer in a beta release thus we included it in this release.

Reactions: bdog421

Randy T

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes well aware of this k0nane. I didn't want to be the one to spill the beans. But yes many many people have ended up with true bricks from the latest beta which has been pulled.

I think "many many" may give the wrong impression. We've had over 120 downloads of v4.1.0 beta. Of that number, we've had 7 bricks reported plus a couple of other dev testers. That is 9 too many in my book, but it does not qualify as "many many" in my definition. We have far more than that that refuse to downgrade, so take that however you wish.

I personally have not had trouble with it, so either some behavioral issue is causing problems, or we are bumping up against the edges of some hardware limits.

Given I am traveling this week, probably won't get a chance to look very deeply at this until next week. Getting lots of great resources with contacts at Samsung this week at the ELC2011 though.

Reactions: bdog421

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think "many many" may give the wrong impression. We've had over 120 downloads of v4.1.0 beta. Of that number, we've had 7 bricks reported plus a couple of other dev testers. That is 9 too many in my book, but it does not qualify as "many many" in my definition. We have far more than that that refuse to downgrade, so take that however you wish.

I personally have not had trouble with it, so either some behavioral issue is causing problems, or we are bumping up against the edges of some hardware limits.

Given I am traveling this week, probably won't get a chance to look very deeply at this until next week. Getting lots of great resources with contacts at Samsung this week at the ELC2011 though.

Randy, maybe I should of not used "many many" that was not the point I intended to make. At the time I did visit the Bonsai thread with the bricks being reported it did seem like many more were going to come but either it ended up being limited or the remaining other donors/testers took warning and reverted back to 4.0.1 before trouble set in.

Anyways, I know you and Mammon will get this resolved and put it behind you.

Reactions: ajmcedar

bdog421

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
One of the few, but this will not change my opinion or use of this ROM and team.

Thanks Bonsai!

You bricked on 4.1b9? Rats, I do hope you have insurance, if not keep trying to recover your epic, at least one users phone some how came back to life by plugging and unplugging the charger and pulling the battery over and over.

Chetbungo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Bonsai Rom with BS Kernal

I am pretty sure this has been answered, but i cant seem to find it, and i dont really have time to read through pages and pages of threads, and search hasnt helped me. I have donated to both bonsai and Baked Snack, and have tried both setups. Right now i am running baked snack 2.3 with 1.2low. Not too big of a fan of the rom (its really nice, just not for me) but the kernal seems to run pretty good. Bonsai was awesome (except for crashing on me completely when i was on vacation) which i think i can contribute to not clearing cache's correctly before install. I am pretty sure i read somewhere that someone was running Bonsai 4.0.0 on Baked Snack 1.2low kernal, can anyone confirm how this has worked for them? also i was getting twscrushapp error (i think, wasnt able to write it down at all) anyone help with that?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure this has been answered, but i cant seem to find it, and i dont really have time to read through pages and pages of threads, and search hasnt helped me. I have donated to both bonsai and Baked Snack, and have tried both setups. Right now i am running baked snack 2.3 with 1.2low. Not too big of a fan of the rom (its really nice, just not for me) but the kernal seems to run pretty good. Bonsai was awesome (except for crashing on me completely when i was on vacation) which i think i can contribute to not clearing cache's correctly before install. I am pretty sure i read somewhere that someone was running Bonsai 4.0.0 on Baked Snack 1.2low kernal, can anyone confirm how this has worked for them? also i was getting twscrushapp error (i think, wasnt able to write it down at all) anyone help with that?
BS Kernel has worked well for many people on different ROMs. Only issue is with BS its not rooted in the kernel so if you flash it on a ROM dependant on the kernel for root like SRF/ACE then you will have to run OneClickRoot for EXT4 conversion again to re establish root. Not a big deal really. Bonsai/midNIGHT has root built into the ROM so there wouldn't be any loss of root access with BS kernel.

BS kernels have always been known for great battery so that is a big factor right there in using the kernel.

As far as the TWcrush error, that I believe is the modded TW Launcher that Bonsai is using.. Probably just needed to goto settings>apps>manage apps>TW Launcher>clear data/cache. Possibly a Fix Permissions in CWM if that doesn't work.

Hope this helps!

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

I am using 1.2low from the BS2.3 ROM, and the Bonsai 4.0.1 ROM. Setup seems to work fine. I tried the Bonsai kernel again going from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 for a few days, but just didn't seem to get the same battery life as with the BS kernels, so I switched the kernel back over to BS. As for the launcher, follow Paul's suggestion. I personally use LauncherPro Plus, so have not experienced any errors... Bonsai is very stable, so if there was a crash, it was probably related to not cleaning out the system before install, as you suspected...

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey, anybody else out there having an issue with SMS's not sending on 4.0.1? I've noticed a problem over the past couple of days of my outgoing texts hanging on sending... very frustrating, as I don't get a notification of failure... it just keeps trying to send and probably drain battery... any advice on a fix would be awesome... Thx

bgdpmp79

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
a_c_s, I was having that same problem on Syndicate Frozen. Turns out it was because I was using taskkiller. I could recieve texts but the ones I sent kept saying "sending" hours later. When I rebooted my phone, "sending" was gone and I believe they were then sent. The next day I had the same problem. So I did a search on here and they recomended to remove task killer. When I did, I never had that issue come up again. Do you have a task killer program running? If so, try removing it. Or at least reboot and see what the status of your sent texts are.

Reactions: a_c_s

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
a_c_s, I was having that same problem on Syndicate Frozen. Turns out it was because I was using taskkiller. I could recieve texts but the ones I sent kept saying "sending" hours later. When I rebooted my phone, "sending" was gone and I believe they were then sent. The next day I had the same problem. So I did a search on here and they recomended to remove task killer. When I did, I never had that issue come up again. Do you have a task killer program running? If so, try removing it. Or at least reboot and see what the status of your sent texts are.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a task killer, but it's not set to auto, and either way, messaging has been on my ignore list. I ended up deleting all my old message threads, installed GO SMS, and by using that as my primary program for messaging, seem to have avoided the issue somehow.

bgdpmp79

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Glad GO SMS fixed that. I recently started using GO SMS myself. I still have the stock messaging going as well because I heard sometimes there's a problem with receiving picture mail. Have you used long enough to notice any problems with receiving MMS?

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Glad GO SMS fixed that. I recently started using GO SMS myself. I still have the stock messaging going as well because I heard sometimes there's a problem with receiving picture mail. Have you used long enough to notice any problems with receiving MMS?

Actually, have not test MMS... but I didn't touch stock either, so hopefully it would come to one or the other... I'll test out later with my wife's phone when I get home and report back...

Chetbungo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully paul can help me out, if you look a few posts back I talked about this. I have been running baked snack rom, but didnt really care for the Launcherpro and how non of the icons showed if i had messages or emails, so i decided to go back to bonsai because i just liked the overall look of the rom. Well about 8 hours after installing i got the twcrusherapp error again. I did the data, cache, and dalvik cache wipe 3 times before doing it this time. I went in and cleared the data, and lost all my shortcuts on all my screens and had to redo them. There was no option for clearing the cache, anyone else run into this?

a_c_s

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully paul can help me out, if you look a few posts back I talked about this. I have been running baked snack rom, but didnt really care for the Launcherpro and how non of the icons showed if i had messages or emails, so i decided to go back to bonsai because i just liked the overall look of the rom. Well about 8 hours after installing i got the twcrusherapp error again. I did the data, cache, and dalvik cache wipe 3 times before doing it this time. I went in and cleared the data, and lost all my shortcuts on all my screens and had to redo them. There was no option for clearing the cache, anyone else run into this?

I've had periodic wierdness running Bonsai 4.1.1.b38 with the RC5 kernel, though not launcher related. For a week it was hit or miss whether apps that had been moved to SD would show up in the app drawer on reboot... I would have to try to reinstall something via Titanium or manually, and usually it would jar the system into finding the missing stuff... well a few days back half the apps just disappeared permanently... had to completely start a new installation from scratch... extremely annoying... I am running same setup again and when I reboot, it takes forever to find the SD apps... in addition, I lose large chunks of battery on reset... anyone else notice this... usually at least a 10% hit... tonight (luckily I'm home), I rebooted my phone with 31% battery left and it turned back on at 2%... I put it right on the charger and it looks like it is charging more quickly than usual, probably because in reality it has juice and the meter is off... I've reset the battery meter already, so what else could be causing this? Anyone else having this issue? It's pretty bad combined with the disappearing apps... btw, I'm running EE03 right now, though I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with this, as I was having some Bonsai issues on EC05 last week...

Thanks, A

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choll