Brattery drain issues: one last attempt...

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping someone may notice what's going on with my device... I am at a loss. Attaching all screenshots and dump file from BetterBatteryStats (may need to open in Wordpad for the spacing work).

To summarize, my battery drain is very inconsistent. Some days it lasts a long time, 2-3 hrs of screen time, can stay in standby for over 2 days. And then some days it drains very quickly, like right now - it drops by 3% every time I basically turn on the screen to check e-mail/messages. I think we can all agree that 4 hrs of standby and 15 mins of screen usage should not use 50% of the battery.

I have tried two different units (swapped thinking my battery was faulty), and the issue persists - so I think it has to be something related to my software setup. I am running the AT&T LTE stock phone, 1.85 firmware. I have tried doing the full factory reset (clearing all settings/apps/storage), and cycling the battery.

Some folks here have mentioned that my drain seems to begin when I hit an area with low/no signal (I take the subway to work in the morning), and then persists - as if something is trying to sync/connect somewhere, but can't... so it keeps looping and draining the battery.

My autosync is only on for Gmail, Google calendar (not contacts), and Weather (every 2 hrs only). Phone is not overly hot, battery is at 86 degrees right now. Brightness at 40%.

If someone has any ideas, please share - I am at a loss, I don't know what to do... but this battery life has got to be better than what I see sometimes.

Thanks so much.

rossomatic

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had battery issues as well most recently, and I uninstalled Chrome Beta and replaced it with ICS Browser +. Seems to be improving the life - plus some of the features in ICS Browser + are pretty cool, like the little navigation pane that pops out from the right side of the screen: very "Minority Report" like.

Hope that helps.

furygoalbrtis39

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend turning LTE off and running off of HSPA+. I get 2 days of heavy use with LTE off. Now of course AT&T disabled this option, but here's a workaround:
go to Settings>Mobile Network>Access Point Names

Click the Menu button, and select "New APN"

Enter the following:

Name: Media Net (name doesn't really matter, as long as its different from the original APN)
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: WAP@CINGULAR.COM
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms (no spaces after each comma)
Bearer: Unspecified

After entering the values, hit Menu again, and select "Save". Now go back, and you should see your "new" APN listed along with the "original" one (should be AT&T PTA). Just select the new APN, and hit back or home. You will see the 4G LTE icon disappear, and you will lose data for a minute or so (if you use the browser, it will give a no connection error). Then you should see the "4G" icon come up (no LTE), and you should have your data connection back.

Like I said, I'm still testing this out. Try it out, and let me know if it works for you. You should probably try sending and receiving MMS, just to make sure those work (I tested by sending a photo to myself, and seems to work fine). The wrong APN info can sometimes mess up MMS, but if that works, and other data works, you should be good to go.

I'm in a LTE market, and LTE is actually one of the reasons I bought this phone. So I actually intend to keep LTE on for the most part. But it would be nice to be able to shut if off if in a fringe LTE reception area, which may kill the battery quickly and/or cause connection problems. Or possibly save some battery if in a non-LTE market.
Information from "redpoint73" over at the AT&T Community Forums
Original Post: Re: Disabling 4G LTE - AT&T Community Support

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks fury, I saw this on XDA last night, so gave it a try - it does work, and you can switch between LTE and HSPA pretty easily, which is nice. I will try going to HSPA and seeing if the battery issue persists when I take my morning (subway) commute.

I also rooted, unlocked bootloader, and flashed CleanROM 3.0 Lite onto my device - to see if removing the bloatware would help. The ROM is great, but the issue still persists. May have to try removing Sense entirely.

furygoalbrtis39

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks fury, I saw this on XDA last night, so gave it a try - it does work, and you can switch between LTE and HSPA pretty easily, which is nice. I will try going to HSPA and seeing if the battery issue persists when I take my morning (subway) commute.

I also rooted, unlocked bootloader, and flashed CleanROM 3.0 Lite onto my device - to see if removing the bloatware would help. The ROM is great, but the issue still persists. May have to try removing Sense entirely.

I'm pretty sure that was me over at XDA too lol. I'm Danny39 over there

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: neocryte

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

I love CleanROM but I am going to try CM9 or AOKP to see how I like stock ICS

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I love CleanROM but I am going to try CM9 or AOKP to see how I like stock ICS

Same here - I can't rely on a phone that gets random battery drains, if it's Sense that's causing it... Just waiting for a new AOKP build.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I live in a LTE area and work in one. I'm using the one x all.stock and thesis the best battery I've ever owned. I have no problem making it through a day. I usually still have atleast 70 percent when I get home around 4.

rdxhd

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Same here - I can't rely on a phone that gets random battery drains, if it's Sense that's causing it... Just waiting for a new AOKP build.

That's too bad because my battery has been anythign short of fantastic with CleanRom. Do you know when the new AOKP build may be coming out

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I live in a LTE area and work in one. I'm using the one x all.stock and thesis the best battery I've ever owned. I have no problem making it through a day. I usually still have atleast 70 percent when I get home around 4.

jlh, the issue a bunch of us are experiencing happens when you lose LTE signal for a while and then gain it back. We noticed it because we take the subway to work (Boston, NYC) - and after the phone gains signal, it sometimes begins draining the battery very quickly.

Other than that, the battery life is pretty good on my device, no complaints.

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
That's too bad because my battery has been anythign short of fantastic with CleanRom. Do you know when the new AOKP build may be coming out

Same here - I like CleanRom a lot. Not sure about AOKP - but they've been hinting that it's coming soon. I got yelled at for asking when it's coming out... :)

neocryte

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok, subway ride must be done by now, has the jury reached a verdict?

Sent from my HOX

After some testing, here are my conclusions:

1. Turning off LTE does seem to fix the battery issue - after a couple subway rides, no drastic battery drains occurring. And battery life is a trillion times better, as expected.

2. The current workaround for turning off LTE is buggy - it causes the device to lose signal randomly every once in a while. I lost signal a couple times while sitting on my couch at home browsing the web/forums. I have 5 bars here and sometimes just boom all signal disappears and it takes half a minute to get it back. This is consistent with what I've heard from some other folks.

So, we need HTC/ATT/modders to fix the LTE signal/battery issue, and a stable way to disable LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSun