Brick after switch to ART Runtime

akim111

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi all-- hoping someone has any idea about this.
I received the KitKat upgrade a few days ago, and was reading about the new compiler that one can select as an option. It seemed like it had a relatively good record for stability, and so I thought I'd try it out. When shutting down (after the reboot prompt on switching), I got a error message that would not clear regarding system ui crashing (apologies, I do not recall the exact process). Anyways, after a soft reset, I let the phone try and boot for about 30-35 minutes, and then reset again-- no matter what I do, I cannot get past the boot animation. Will I really need a factory reset? I know this is a new topic for the M, but I'm hoping someone with experience on other devices might have an idea. Thanks in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all-- hoping someone has any idea about this.
I received the KitKat upgrade a few days ago, and was reading about the new compiler that one can select as an option. It seemed like it had a relatively good record for stability, and so I thought I'd try it out. When shutting down (after the reboot prompt on switching), I got a error message that would not clear regarding system ui crashing (apologies, I do not recall the exact process). Anyways, after a soft reset, I let the phone try and boot for about 30-35 minutes, and then reset again-- no matter what I do, I cannot get past the boot animation. Will I really need a factory reset? I know this is a new topic for the M, but I'm hoping someone with experience on other devices might have an idea. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums.
If the battery can be removed, I would for a few minutes, and then reboot into recovery and you can try a factory reset.
This is what I found on Verizon's website: Hard Reset - DROID RAZR M by MOTOROLA

akim111

May 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! I was hoping that the factory reset could be avoided-- and unfortunately, the Razr M does not have a removable battery, but I can still shut it down.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome! I was hoping that the factory reset could be avoided-- and unfortunately, the Razr M does not have a removable battery, but I can still shut it down.

Bummer about the reset, but I think it is the only way to fix this.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

akim111

May 17, 2014
Visit site
I basically just mashed random buttons for about 30 seconds until the menu came up-- I am resetted. Notice to anyone on this forum that might consider the ART runtime: caution on the M, make sure you're backed up first.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I basically just mashed random buttons for about 30 seconds until the menu came up-- I am resetted. Notice to anyone on this forum that might consider the ART runtime: caution on the M, make sure you're backed up first.

Good to know. At least you are out of the bootloop.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The proper sequence on the new recovery is to hold volume up, and then tap power to bring up the recovery menu.