Bricked my captivate, but its not bricked?

martin safar

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So long story short, I've had my captivate for a while and i just rooted it today. I used the z4root method and it worked fine. The issue im having arose when i tried flashing Andromeda using Odin. Everything was working fine, i got the kernel loaded and everything, but what i didn't notice was that i never transferred the ROM zip to my phone. It was too late to do that after flashing the kernel to my phone as it made the internal SD write-protected.

I decided from that point to attempt the odin-one-click to revert back to stock 2.1 and there is where i reached my snafu. It seems that the ondin-one-click broke any attempts to boot the captivate into download/recovery mode. I tried all the button methods found in this link Putting the Phone into Download Mode - Samsung Captivate Wiki and i tried using adb to reboot into download mode. Nothing worked.

The specific adb commands i tried were like so, in exact order (the # lines will be the responses from cmd)
D:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
#the device is not ready
adb reboot download
# 'adb' is not a registered command blah blah blah

The reason why i say its bricked but not bricked is that I can reboot my phone normally; theres no hang up or the phone--!--computer sign. I can use my phone as if nothing happened other than reverting to 2.1. The only thing that doesnt work is the 3 finger salute or any other method.

Does anyone have any info or a thread i may have missed about the topic? Im really trying everything i can at this point to not do a jig, but i will if i have to.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So long story short, I've had my captivate for a while and i just rooted it today. I used the z4root method and it worked fine. The issue im having arose when i tried flashing Andromeda using Odin. Everything was working fine, i got the kernel loaded and everything, but what i didn't notice was that i never transferred the ROM zip to my phone. It was too late to do that after flashing the kernel to my phone as it made the internal SD write-protected.

I decided from that point to attempt the odin-one-click to revert back to stock 2.1 and there is where i reached my snafu. It seems that the ondin-one-click broke any attempts to boot the captivate into download/recovery mode. I tried all the button methods found in this link Putting the Phone into Download Mode - Samsung Captivate Wiki and i tried using adb to reboot into download mode. Nothing worked.

The specific adb commands i tried were like so, in exact order (the # lines will be the responses from cmd)
D:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
#the device is not ready
adb reboot download
# 'adb' is not a registered command blah blah blah

The reason why i say its bricked but not bricked is that I can reboot my phone normally; theres no hang up or the phone--!--computer sign. I can use my phone as if nothing happened other than reverting to 2.1. The only thing that doesnt work is the 3 finger salute or any other method.

Does anyone have any info or a thread i may have missed about the topic? Im really trying everything i can at this point to not do a jig, but i will if i have to.

that phone ! computer is basically download mode. you can still flash with odin while in that state.