Browsing/adding media files via USB and data from deleted apps

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to Android and was exploring the phone via USB this evening for the first time and have what are really general Android questions. I read the "Getting Started" guide and I asked on the "Android Apps" forum but didn't get a response so I figured it woudn't hurt to ask here.

While there are probably programs that can sync my media files and photos, similar to how iTunes works, it looks like all I have to do with videos, music and pictures is just drop them into the appropriate folders, which is actually much easier. I tried adding some music and it worked flawlessly. However I know there is some pre-loaded content on the phone, and this did not appear in any of the folders. Is user added content kept separate? I was unsure as to why I couldn't locate the files on the phone.

Also, I noticed there were some folders from apps I have already deleted. Is it ok to remove these? Is this something that could affect performance in the future? With an Apple device, everything is removed completely (my iPhone was jailbroken so I could go through the entire file system and check), however on my Windows PC, there are often extra folders or occasional registry entries left behind. Quite an annoyance. Specifically - I uninstalled the Foursquare app, and found the following directory: Nexus 4 > Internal Storage > foursquare. I also removed the Accu-Weather app, and found the following: Nexus 4 > Internal Storage > Android > Data > com.accuweather.android. Having residual scraps of data is a bit of an annoyance, as I like to keep things as clean and efficient as possible. I hate the idea of an app leaving scraps after it's been removed from the phone.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
when you said preloaded you mean Transformers movie and some TV shows? if you are looking for that in the phone then you wont find it.
its in the cloud. you have to pin it to download to your phone.

about app residue. you can delete them sometime some apps create their own folder to maintain the app data which uninstall wont delete.
I would say its poor programming. sometimes a reboot will delete them.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
when you said preloaded you mean Transformers movie and some TV shows? if you are looking for that in the phone then you wont find it.
its in the cloud. you have to pin it to download to your phone.

about app residue. you can delete them sometime some apps create their own folder to maintain the app data which uninstall wont delete.
I would say its poor programming. sometimes a reboot will delete them.

Yes, any of it really. Although it looks like the one Lumineers song is actually on the phone? The music player, apparently gives you the option of viewing all music, or just the music on the device, and when I switch to the latter, that and songs I added are the only ones showing.

I'll try a reboot and see what happens!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, the default system notifications, ring tones, etc., are compiled directly into the operating system as system resources; that is why they are nowhere to be found when searching through folders.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenamac