[BUG] Running Services LAG - PLEASE READ

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Those of you having problems, do you have any of the moto Widgets active on your homescreen?

I believe I do yes. I have cleaned off most of my scenes but the ones with weather, sms and the radios on/off switches are still there. Let me try removing all my widgets and report back what happens.

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
This is what Im having lag with on my device;

-Scrolling from screen to screen lags like mad. Not smooth what so ever as so many reviews claimed it was.
-App Drawer, very laggy, very sluggish, very choppy. Some instances Ill scroll and itll freeze and jump to the direction I was scrolling to.
-Browser lags both scrolling speeds and browsing speeds. As I said in a post in the wifi thread. My Inc destroyed my X in speeds while browsing. And Pinch-to-zoom is sluggish on mine.
-Sometimes my screen will "lag out" if you wish to call it and go haywire doing a bunch of random crap whether its opening something that I didnt even touch, or jump to another screen.

I could go on. The more I experience this device, the worse it gets unfortunately. I had such high hopes for this thing but Im not sure if its this particular batch of phones, the software, or what not. Its getting worse. Oh and dont even get me started on the WiFi and battery. Thats a whole another issue.
Thanks for clarifying. Either your phone is bad or you have done something to your configuration that is causing all these anomalies you describe. Except for a minor hiccup scrolling down the first time in a large, graphics-laden list, I've seen none of the issues you're describing except when I have killed off necessary processes by accident while experimenting with the phone's configuration. A hard reset is probably in order followed by an exchange if the hard reset doesn't work for you.

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to say, but irrelevant to the topic. This isn't a debate of task killing, its a discussion of why is one menu showing extreme freezing and lag-out problems for some users and not for others.

As for thinking like this: "you shouldn't have to worry about task managers so just ignore the fact that that screen is laggy by not using it" is not solving the problem. If I wanted to be told to ignore blatant issues, I'd be holding an Iphone...

That was supposed to be a reply to Bart because he asked about why things reopen after he closes them, I thought i hit the quote button. The running Services app/screen can be a littly laggy because it is refreashing in REALTIME what is running, usage, what is restarting and how long each one has done so! I wish some folks would really listen to thoes of us with Android experiance...

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Cory, I've gone ahead and removed every widget and shortcut off every single scene. Still getting the lag in the Running Services menu :(

If it weren't for the individuals saying they get no lag whatsoever in that menu, I would say sure thats the way it is and I can live with that. But there are people saying its running perfectly fine, and then theres others such as myself with long lag spikes. I can't help but feel singled out for doing nothing wrong and it seems just downright frustrating.

Maybe I'll try a hard reset, what exactly does this do as far as losing data goes? And where in the menu can I do such a thing if no one minds telling me, many thanks guys.

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
Cory, I've gone ahead and removed every widget and shortcut off every single scene. Still getting the lag in the Running Services menu :(

If it weren't for the individuals saying they get no lag whatsoever in that menu, I would say sure thats the way it is and I can live with that. But there are people saying its running perfectly fine, and then theres others such as myself with long lag spikes. I can't help but feel singled out for doing nothing wrong and it seems just downright frustrating.

Maybe I'll try a hard reset, what exactly does this do as far as losing data goes? And where in the menu can I do such a thing if no one minds telling me, many thanks guys.
Are you restarting the device after deleting the widgets? Deleting the widget doesn't kill any background processes it may have launched.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you restarting the device after deleting the widgets? Deleting the widget doesn't kill any background processes it may have launched.

After wiping all the screens then shutting down and restarting, still getting the lag in that menu.

Like I said, if everyone said "yes its locking up for us as well, its probably just because the screen has so much real-time data its constantly displaying thats why its lagging" then I'd say heck that makes sense to me, I'll glad accept that. Its because of you few people who say its not lagging at all that drives me wild :p I just want my phone running tip-top shape. And considering its <1 day old, with nothing really installed on it, this doesn't bode well for my future expectations :(

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
After wiping all the screens then shutting down and restarting, still getting the lag in that menu.

Like I said, if everyone said "yes its locking up for us as well, its probably just because the screen has so much real-time data its constantly displaying thats why its lagging" then I'd say heck that makes sense to me, I'll glad accept that. Its because of you few people who say its not lagging at all that drives me wild :p I just want my phone running tip-top shape. And considering its <1 day old, with nothing really installed on it, this doesn't bode well for my future expectations :(

A tip from someone who spent many many years depending on bug reports --

Ignore the ones that say "No issues" and the ones that say "worst ever" and focus on the reports that sound more truthful ;)

04redgto

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

Well, mine does lag in the running apps tab, but I'm not concerned because of everything the phone is displaying, and refreshing when your in there. Also remember what 1 person considers/percieves as lag, the next might not! It takes me 7-8 seconds(about 1 finger flick per second) to scroll from top to bottom, and there is some jerkyness.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

Okay.... That menu stutters for me a little as I flip through it too. It works better if I touch the screen lightly instead of pressing and scrolling, but the rest of my phone performs fine. I'm not really sure if I would measure the phones performance by the way the scrolling behaves in the running services list.

Now, if the phone is acting really laggy in other areas (for example, flicking through the various screens) as mine did the first day I had it, then I would try any combo of the following things, because honestly I'm not sure which one of these resolved it:

I had to do 3 hard resets, and on the 3rd hard reset I did this:

• I only configured 2 accounts - one was Gmail, and the other was a corporate account. I did not setup Verizon's silly backup assistant program.
  • After those accounts had synced up, I then added Facebook & Visual Voicemail.
  • Swyping through the various screens was laggy for about 5 minutes - which I'm assuming was the time it took for all my corporate email data to sync over.
  • I went into Location & Security Setting and turned off Screen Lock.
  • I deleted all the Moto widgets except for the Calendar one.
  • I added my apps.

I haven't seen any lag with the above settings, and I'm not sure which one resolved my issues.

Last edited:

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I've had an Android phone now for only 1 1/2 days officially, but if I may offer a tiny piece of advice, when I go into a menu that is heavy with icons or lists, I usually just pause for a brief second or so to let things load before I start scrolling and it's always very fast. Having said that, I haven't noticed any lag at all even if I start scrolling immediately after the next screen appears. I've deleted most of the stock widgets. I've downloaded about 20 apps. I'm coming from a Blackberry where I constantly got the dreaded spinning sandglass from hell and experienced tons of lag, so the X is an incredible step up for me in speed and performance. Maybe other prior Android users are just a lot more picky because they're already used to having a speedy OS.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowoverhoe