Build quality

L2 Fly

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Buy a screen protector ASAP. The screen on the Galaxy is not easy to scratch by any means, but I've done it in an everyday situation without even knowing I had. For the case, I'd recommend getting one. The build quality is alright, but I doubt it'd be hard to make a dent in the plastic shell. I use the Incipio Silicrylic and a Zagg Invisible Shield screen protector.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm rocking a screen protector but not a case. I'm notoriously hard on phones but mine is unblemished thus far. Knocks on wood

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
i don't use either a screen protector or a case. i put my phone in my pocket with my keys and it doesn't have a scratch. i forgot it in my pocket and threw my pants across the bathroom floor and the phone apparently landed on the tiles on the corner. it pushed the corner in about 2mm and crunched the rounded corner of the glass in about 1mm but didn't break anything. i wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: HAXSO21

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't use a screen protector but I use a case to keep the phone on my belt because I don't want anything this size in my pocket.

Dirty Crow

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm rolling with a few defender otterbox right now. I take it out of the case from time to time but I am hyper careful and after just 2 weeks I already noticed a couple of very tiny marks on the screen. I coworkers never put a screen protector but was careful. The result = a gnex that looks like it was cleaned with a brillo pad.

Get a screen protector asap.

I'm trading in the defender otterbox box for a zag invisible shield and a commuter otterbox soon to cut down on bulk.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

jr313

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I ALWAYS buy a screen protector and case the day of purchase, can never have enough protection imo. I would say screen protector for sure but case is up to you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow I never would consider this more scratch prone than those crappy plastic-like touch phones. This is my first actual glass-like screen and I have had it for over 5 months no screen protector. I didn't use a case till this month when I also bought a 3800mAh battery. With the added bulk a case is a must but when I was going naked stock battery I dropped it a few times with face plants the outside has some scratches but the screen is clear not a mark. I simply love the feel of my finger just gliding along the surface near friction-less. I have never had a screen protector feel like this and even the ones that would be considered good always wear fast and became sticky or rough to the touch.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
If you have had bad luck with drops and scratches in the past, then protect your phone. I've never used a case/screen protector on any phone and have been lucky (or careful).

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I know this doesn't relate to your actual question of a screen protector/case, but it does relate to the build quality. The bottom left corner of my screen is slightly raised. Normally, around the rest of the phone, the plastic bezel is slightly higher than the screen, but in that corner the plastic and glass are flush together. If I pinch, I can move the glass/plastic together. I've had the phone for a little over a month and I can't tell if it's getting worse or not. It kind of feels like it is. Does anyone else have a similar issue? Should I get it replaced?

Thanks,
Capn

L2 Fly

May 27, 2012
Visit site
So, I know this doesn't relate to your actual question of a screen protector/case, but it does relate to the build quality. The bottom left corner of my screen is slightly raised. Normally, around the rest of the phone, the plastic bezel is slightly higher than the screen, but in that corner the plastic and glass are flush together. If I pinch, I can move the glass/plastic together. I've had the phone for a little over a month and I can't tell if it's getting worse or not. It kind of feels like it is. Does anyone else have a similar issue? Should I get it replaced?

Thanks,
Capn

Try calling customer support and tell them it's progressively gotten worse and that it's not your fault in any way, and I bet they'll authorize a replacement since it's the manufacturer's fault. Hell, I had my Nexus replaced for one tiny dead pixel; your situation sounds far worse since it compromises the integrity of your phone, whereas mine was just annoying.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

capnfatpants

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. My luck the screen will pop out and they'll claim its because I dropped it and I'll be SOL.

Also, do you suggest I call VZW or Samsung?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reality3020