Buy another Nexus 7?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Just looking for some advice. I love my Nexus 7 but it was getting too old and unresponsive. I would have to re-start almost once or twice a week to get it to respond. I bought a Lenovo tab 4 8 and have mixed feelings about keeping it. It's heavier and has a hard drive which is a bit noisy and buzzing. I would return it and buy another Nexus 7 but they are getting pretty old at this point and cannot take any more updates. Just wondered about other people's opinions and what you do when your Nexus wears out? Thank you.

Alan Burnstine

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: buy another Nexus 7?

I still use my 2013 Nexus 7 regularly. I have not found another that I like as much for my uses at a reasonable cost yet.
I use it in the kitchen for streaming Amazon Prime video, NetFlix, or from my FiOS DVR. I also use it with Paprika recipe app, kitchen timers, and a bluetooth meat thermometer. If I go on a trip, I will take it with me primarily for reading eBooks.
I was looking forward to finally replacing it with the Lenovo Smart Tab M8 with Google Assistant that was announced in September, but it is still "coming soon" on their web site, and they just announced the M10 version to be available in April. Not sure if the M8 will ever be released, although I would prefer the smaller size to the M10.

SteveJF

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site

I'm still using my N7/2013. The auto-rotate function quit working around 4 years ago and the battery is still the original one. It baffles me as to why Asus/Google quit manufacturing and developing this device after 3 years. It was way ahead of anything else then and still holds it's own today. I peruse the local classified ads occasionally for a backup replacement unit.

dilagable

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I use mine a few times a wee. Mainly to borrow and read comics through my local library via the Hoopla app. I wish there was something comparable on the market now. I'd buy several of a 7" form factor pure android that can run games and stuff. Instead the kids are stuck with crappy Fire tablets.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

My 2012 had been in a drawer generally since I'd updated to the 2013 on its release, but that one finally gave it up about 1 1/2 years ago, so went back to the original. Still works fine, though not up to the expectations one might have of a more modern tablet. I actually had picked up a Fire 10 to replace it, but even rooted to allow Play Store it just never 'caught on' with me, I think largely because the ergonomics of the 7 are so much better.

I did just pick up a Slate with the recent blowout (yes, I know, it's Chrome OS), so that is taking the vast majority of tasks for which I had been using the N7, but there's just something about the N7 size that makes it so darn functional despite its age.

Pixel 3 guy

Oct 10, 2019
Visit site

Just looking for some advice. I love my Nexus 7 but it was getting too old and unresponsive. I would have to re-start almost once or twice a week to get it to respond. I bought a Lenovo tab 4 8 and have mixed feelings about keeping it. It's heavier and has a hard drive which is a bit noisy and buzzing. I would return it and buy another Nexus 7 but they are getting pretty old at this point and cannot take any more updates. Just wondered about other people's opinions and what you do when your Nexus wears out? Thank you.

I've used a Nexus 7 2013 LTE from 2014 until the last week or so. It has served me well and though it's slowed down over the last year or two, it was still decent. I bought a Asus Chromebook Flip c101PA for the size and portability factor and enjoy that. I broke down, though, last week and bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4. I like the size, it's very light to hold in the hand and runs nicely. I found mine for $325 with the keyboard in mint condition. I would say either device is a good alternative. I loved the 7 inch screen on the Nexus 7 and there isn't anything sold now that is that size. Lenovo just announced a Chromebook with a 10.1" screen with a detachable keyboard folio that will sell for $279 when it goes on sale in April. That might be a good alternative too.

bradfordw2

Jan 8, 2020
Visit site

I still use a 2014 Nexus 7. Most tablets were twice the cost to get the same features. The grandkids toss it around quite a bit. My wife has gone through a Samsung Galaxy tab s2 and an iPad in the same period. Neither machine survived the grandkids.

Last edited by a moderator:

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Still have a 2013 but most of the functionality/compatibility is limited or gone in comparison with more current devices running later OS versions. I was considering replacing it but went with a ASUS chromebook instead.

I think id buy something like it if it were pure android, received OS upgrades and was reasonably priced though. But nothing i can find fits the bill so ill stick to the chrome book.

andamas

Jul 6, 2011
www.mrmasters.net
I use it every day!

My N7 is flashed with Lineage OS and the battery life is still acceptable 6 years on. It is my alarm clock and media device at night, an occasional second monitor while at work, my daily reader for news, etc. With the exception of chipped corners, it is in excellent condition and rides in my briefcase every day. I will replace the battery when I start getting less than 8 hours per charge.

Tom Jupille

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site

My 2013 N7 finally got to the point where it wouldn't hold a charge after being my "daily bathroom reader" for 4 years. I have several other tabs, but I ended up getting an Amazon Fire HD8 for this purpose. It has a similar aspect ratio and is only slightly larger than the N7. The Fire HD7 is smaller and cheaper, but the lower-res screen was a deal-breaker for me. I paid $65 (Black Friday sale) for the "no special offers" version and spent an hour or so installing the Google Play Store and Nova Launcher to get a near-duplicate of what I have on the old N7.

Steve Galloway1

Jan 9, 2020
Visit site

Im still using my 2012 nexus 7 and its still very smpoth and responsive. Partly die to rooting and upgrading to nougat 7.0.1 its extended the use of this fine tablet. I use dirty unicorn and supersu with the apptoid store for my most nesded apps..

713alan

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

I have three of the Nexus 7 2013 versions. They are the last high resolution (1920x1200) tablets with wireless charging. I have them spread around the house sitting on wireless charging stands. I use them mostly to control my Sonos speakers. I don't carry my phone at home so they are nice to grab and check email, look for stuff on the Internet, etc. They run phone apps so I can use Color Notes and update the sync'ed notes on my phone.

Tinabe44

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
Yes, the Nexus 7 2'th edition is a legend even in 2020, but that said the hardware value after 2013 wouldn't be the greatest expirence depending on the use case.

It might be time waiting and take a look on the Surface Duo and Neo, that can give a perfect expirence with modern hardware and 360 hinces.

Sangamoura

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
I Love my Nexus 7 2013 (32GB) and use it every day both for surfing and eBook reading. Battery is still showing 89% (Accubattery) and I've brought up to date with LineageOS 14.1.

Sure it's a tad slow compared to my Samsung Galaxy 8 phone but it's still perfectly adequate for purpose, I should say that do NOT do games!!!!!

Actually I have two, OH also had one (stock Android) principally for eBook reading but broke the screen which I replaced with a generic one from eBay which was a mistake as it was rubbish so to keep the peace I bought her a Lenovo Tab 4-8 which she prefers because of the bigger screen but benchmarks no better than the Nexus and in practice to me actually feels slower.

I've since repaired that with a genuine screen bought from AliExpress which I'm keeping as a spare and a test bed for experimenting with different ROM's on. The battery in that is still 82%.

Only problem worth mentioning has been with the micro USB charging sockets which on both suffered broken connections on the PCB but that was relatively easy to fix. Hasn't happened since I switched to magnetic cables where the plug actually stays in the tablet.

Honestly if they both crapped out tomorrow I'd seriously think about buying the same again!

jlm86

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Ok...I'm still creeping along on my second 2013 version
I've factory reset ba few times after the apps start choking it, but having a hard time finding same form factor..
Love the size!
Actually considered an iPad mini, Don't shoot me...

So it's march now, and am still looking for that sweet 7-8" replacement...
Suggestions?

Chingyul

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Wish there was something more modern in the same form factor.
Never got into using a tablet, but I now use this in Search and Rescue with a good bluetooth GPS receiver and a good mapping app (Locus).
Nicer to have more real estate than a phone, especially if I'm showing it to the team and having to interact.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I still use my 2013 Nexus 7 for Email and occasional Twitter but replaced it with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2. Unfortunately, had to get the 9.7 inch screen which is bigger than what I wanted but it's a great reliable tablet.

Gary Bauer1

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
Wish I could buy a new Nexus 7 2013 again. I fit all my needs without any fireworks and I have not found an adequate replacement yet without either a huge jump in cost and/or size. It was the VW Bug of the tablet world.
If not for my 3rd case cracking and allowing the tablet to slip out and hit a hard floor just right about 2 months ago ...... I would still be enjoying it. Boo Hoo me.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe