Buyer's Remorse?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My husband just got the Nexus 6 at Verizon today and man that thing is huge, but it is gorgeous! He is a big guy so he loves the size. I've messed with it some tonight and I couldn't live with the size of it. Maybe the XP will seem just right after handling the 6.

My XP is supposed to be here Friday too so well see!

Was going to add that the guy at Verizon took the 6 off the security cord so my hubby could see how it felt. So they can do that ....

Posted via the Android Central App
I had the 2013 Moto X prior to the Moto X Pure Edition. I had concerns about the size as well, and I never played with the Pure, since I ordered it on its release date using Moto Maker.

It only took me two days to adapt to the size. Now my 2013 Moto X seems tiny.

I also found the Nexus 6 too big. I have some friends who have the Nexus 6, and it was much too wide for me, due to the bigger bezels.

The Moto X Pure Edition ended up being just the right size for me.

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
No remorse from me.

Motorola's software experience is big for me. Moto Display even on an LCD is better for me than a Notification LED. And I like Moto Display more than AOSP Ambient Display. I'll take the extra commands that Moto Voice brings over the basic OK Google voice commands. And Moto Assist's Driving Mode is huge for me on my long commute.

Plus the price was right.

Because of these features, I'll pick the Moto X Pure Edition over any of the current flagships (Nexus 6P, Note 5, S6).

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry is spot on- I ordered my XPE just a couple days after preorders opened to replace last year's (verizon) X. Most of the decision was because it is completely carrier branding free (though I did install the My Verizon app for bill pay and the data usage widget) and rootability. My job occasionally requires me to test web applications on mobile devices and the ability to edit host file entries is huge for that.

I'll say it outright- at this stage, I can NOT use an android phone that doesn't have moto display. This single feature has so changed the way I interact with my device that not only can I not imagine not having it available, I can't last 5 minutes with it disabled before I get frustrated with the inability to jedi-mind-trick the display on and flip it back.

When the new nexii were released, I thought the 5X was pretty sexy (the XPE is a little on the big side for me) and nexus imprint looked like a great way to keep other people out of my phone without inhibiting my use. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll cut it for me at this time. I would like to see the stock ambient display updated to support more of a moto display experience- perhaps with the option for the same hardware in the X line to allow the wave to wake part. Probably not gonna happen but it'd be cool to see in a Nexus 5Y (or Y not)

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Ry is spot on- I ordered my XPE just a couple days after preorders opened to replace last year's (verizon) X. Most of the decision was because it is completely carrier branding free (though I did install the My Verizon app for bill pay and the data usage widget) and rootability.

I can't get that widget to work. The one in my app list says it's not compatible. I downloaded the one from the store that says nexus and the widget says disconnected. I downloaded an apk and that says disconnected too. Any suggestions?

As for the size issue, I am going to give it a couple days at least. I usually trust my gut and it was telling me to return it. I don't want to use it too long and risk damaging it then I can't return it. I'll be using it at work today and I can see how the vice commands work in the car as well. I'm typing on it right now using one hand... It's slipped a couple times but it's not so bad. I feel like my hand is going to start hurting if I keep holding it like this though.

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I bought the MXPE 2 weeks ago. You will love it. Coming from the note series 2 3 and 4. I have some regrets though and it seems I'm in the minority. My bluetooth is my problem. In my car it works fine, but try to stay connected on my 3 different devices is just disappointing. When I called Mototrola they concluded because my MXPE is 4.1 version and my devices are 3.0, it has a difficult time staying connected. Well my note 4 connected just fine and it was 4.1 version. So go figure. Plus voice and data do not work together or advanced calling.
But I do not regret buying it. Its buttery smooth, no bloatware, go for it.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I can't get that widget to work. The one in my app list says it's not compatible. I downloaded the one from the store that says nexus and the widget says disconnected. I downloaded an apk and that says disconnected too. Any suggestions?

As for the size issue, I am going to give it a couple days at least. I usually trust my gut and it was telling me to return it. I don't want to use it too long and risk damaging it then I can't return it. I'll be using it at work today and I can see how the vice commands work in the car as well. I'm typing on it right now using one hand... It's slipped a couple times but it's not so bad. I feel like my hand is going to start hurting if I keep holding it like this though.

It's going to go like this. You are going to use it and think its OK doesn't thrill you. You will them return it and go back to your old phone and realize how much you loved those subtle differences and want it back.. The old phone won't sound as good as the dual front speakers. The display won't be as bright and the moto display... Trust me

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I bought the MXPE 2 weeks ago. You will love it. Coming from the note series 2 3 and 4. I have some regrets though and it seems I'm in the minority. My bluetooth is my problem. In my car it works fine, but try to stay connected on my 3 different devices is just disappointing. When I called Mototrola they concluded because my MXPE is 4.1 version and my devices are 3.0, it has a difficult time staying connected. Well my note 4 connected just fine and it was 4.1 version. So go figure. Plus voice and data do not work together or advanced calling.

Can't blame the lacking of advanced calling on moto.. That's the carriers not letting you access it without their bloatware

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
It's going to go like this. You are going to use it and think its OK doesn't thrill you. You will them return it and go back to your old phone and realize how much you loved those subtle differences and want it back.. The old phone won't sound as good as the dual front speakers. The display won't be as bright and the moto display... Trust me

If that is the case then I will just buy it again. I don't want to switch to LG or go back to Samsung because I love everything Moto has done. I don't think I can get used to the size right now and i'd rather return it before anything happens to it. I always trust my gut and I don't feel like this is the phone for me. I'll wait for something else that feels better for me to come out.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

What carrier?

darknyght00

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

I remember having some trickiness involving putting the verizon widget on there but I can't recall what I did to fix it off the top of my head. I'll poke around after work and get back to you on that one.

As for the slipperiness, I had similar concerns even back on the 2014 X (back then I was coming from and iphone 5 so that was a bit of a size bump too). I've found the CaseMate bumper to help dramatically with that. It makes the edge easier to hold without it feeling like the phone is cutting into your hand and gives some much needed gripping power while keeping that custom back visible. It does add a small amount more bulk to an already large device but I have a difficult time even imagining what a better case would be like.

krlseidl

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a few WIFI burps when I got my Pure. I work from home and listen to music via WIFI while doing so. It was pretty annoying. I went and changed the channel for WIFI on my Uverse modem to 7 and all the WIFI issues cleared up. I love the phone. I grabbed my wife's Moto E this morning and I could not ever see going back to a phone that size.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Verizon. I have called both Verizon and Motorola 5 times and 5 times they said they dont support it.

I'm on Verizon.

Advanced Calling 1.0 is enabled on my Verizon line.
Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is enabled on my Moto X Pure Edition.

I get Voice and Data at the same time.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon.

Advanced Calling 1.0 is enabled on my Verizon line.
Enhanced 4G LTE Mode is enabled on my Moto X Pure Edition.

I get Voice and Data at the same time.

Ry, did VZW try to charge anything extra for Advanced Calling?
Was that change something that would kill Unlimited Data? (I know it goes up by $20 per line this month.)

andonakis

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's just strange. That's great for you and others. But when I go under settings and than more, there is no option to enable Enhanced 4G LTE Mode.
The last time when I called Verizon they went into my account and than said to wait for 2 days and I will see the option to enable it. Needless to say nothing showed up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ry, did VZW try to charge anything extra for Advanced Calling?
Was that change something that would kill Unlimited Data? (I know it goes up by $20 per line this month.)

No charge for Advanced Calling 1.0

Does not touch the data plan.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the 2013 Moto X prior to the Moto X Pure Edition. I had concerns about the size as well, and I never played with the Pure, since I ordered it on its release date using Moto Maker.

It only took me two days to adapt to the size. Now my 2013 Moto X seems tiny.

I also found the Nexus 6 too big. I have some friends who have the Nexus 6, and it was much too wide for me, due to the bigger bezels.

The Moto X Pure Edition ended up being just the right size for me.
I agree, at first I thought the phone was going to be too big for me, but now I am very used to it. In fact, I cannot even go back to the old 5 inch screen phones and I need a big phone

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's just strange. That's great for you and others. But when I go under settings and than more, there is no option to enable Enhanced 4G LTE Mode.
The last time when I called Verizon they went into my account and than said to wait for 2 days and I will see the option to enable it. Needless to say nothing showed up.

Just to be clear: Settings > More (under Wireless & networks) > Cellular networks > Enhanced 4G LTE Mode

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My Moto X Pure Edition arrived this morning and right out of the box I was shocked at just how big it is. I've been using the first gen Moto X since its release and putting the two side by side, the first gen is smaller than just the screen on the new X Pure Edition. It is definitely going to take some getting used to but it is perfect for watching videos (I pulled up some 4k content on YouTube and turned the speakers all the way up and MAN IS IT AMAZING).

Side note, I'm noticing that data speeds on Verizon are a quite a bit slower than on my og Moto X. The old one would average 10 to 15mb on speed test but so far I haven't gotten over 5 on the new one. I wonder if it is an APN setting because I looked at the available options under settings and there are literally 20 different APN settings that all say Verizon Internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qaz