Call Quality and Network Connection Much Improved Over Pixel 6

KrisYYC

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded to a Pixel 8 from a Pixel 6. My Pixel 6 was a good phone overall, however it suffered from the weak cellular connection that plagued a lot of Pixel 6 devices. Several times a day I would have no network at all for around 5 mins. Then it would slowly come back. Call quality wasn't the greatest either and would cut out periodically if I wasn't in the best cellular conditions (full bars).

I'm happy to report that so far I have had none of these network issues with my P8! Hopefully it stays that way.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's better than the Pixel 6 which was a disaster.

I still get weird issues though like I'll get a missed call but the phone never rang and I'll call the person back and ask if the phone was ringing and they'd say no it went straight to voicemail.

So it's an improvement, but still not great imo. Blows my mind that this is even a point of discussion on a flagship phone in 2023.

Reactions: Maljunulo

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
I had a dropped call yesterday on my P8P in the middle of a 30 minute conversation. The connection seemed loud and clear and it just dropped right in the middle. But I'm always unsure whether that's my phone or the other phone that's dropping. Anyway, it reminded me of my pixel 6 pro but, again, I'm not sure it was my phone. Also, I had Wi-Fi calling set and I was connected to a strong Wi-Fi signal even though my cellular signal is pretty weak at home. Not sure that makes a difference. Have had several other phone calls that were crystal clear with no drops so maybe this wasn't my phone.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded to a Pixel 8 from a Pixel 6. My Pixel 6 was a good phone overall, however it suffered from the weak cellular connection that plagued a lot of Pixel 6 devices. Several times a day I would have no network at all for around 5 mins. Then it would slowly come back. Call quality wasn't the greatest either and would cut out periodically if I wasn't in the best cellular conditions (full bars).

I'm happy to report that so far I have had none of these network issues with my P8! Hopefully it stays that way.
Don't recall any quality issues with my p6p, but signal was very evident. Was never sure if it was the phone or tower. However, outside of one night, I have noticed very good coverage (even data) in instances I would have expected to have problems with my p6p. Also, no "no coverage" moments yet.

edison2012

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Only had one day with my P8P, but I haven't seen any better signal quality than with my old 6P or my 7. I was disappointed as I was expecting better performance. I never had dropped calls with my 6p, but it was always registering between -95 & -100 dBm on my signal strength app. Pretty much the same readings on the 7 and the 8P. So it doesn't look as if Google improved the radios. I guess it doesn't help if your area approximates the Black Hole of Calcutta. I'm not even showing 5G at the present. I use WIFI calling at home anyway.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
After using the Samsung fold 4 for the last year, it's obvious the pixel's modem still isn't great. In places that i had solid data connections before, the pixel jumps between 5g UC and 5g on T-Mobile and data slows to a crawl.
Love the phone otherwise and it's nowhere near as buggy as my p6 pro but i do miss the stability of Samsung's modem.

Aflaaaak

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
How's the speaker phone volume? My P6P is always on Max volume outdoors. I can hear it most of the time, but would be nice if I could bump it a bit on occasion.