Calling all carriers

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree with @Trigati , OnePlus wanted to try make a 'world phone' but it obviously wasn't that interested in CDMA carriers. So Sprint or Verizon wouldn't have much reason to carry it since it lacks many of the bands.

newcollector

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why shackle yourself to a carrier who may or may not push sales or updates to the phone? I like the OnePlus unlocked no bloatware update Direct from the factory approach.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
cdma is eventually going away in the next few years. don't see the need too. Onplus just needs to start supporting the lte bands for Verizon

queensoft

Jul 27, 2017
Visit site
OnePlus company is still too small for big carriers.
In my country, only 1-2 years ago big electronics retailers (not mobile carriers) started to sell "no-name" phones, like Xiaomi, Meizu, Bluboo, Ulefone, Cubot, LeTv (LeEco), Oukitel and so on.
There are still some [minor] problems with the warranty and Android version (China/international).
But the mobile carreirs are sticking with the brand names: Samsung, LG, Huawei, Lenovo, Philips, Apple, ZTE.

grob9642

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I am sort of agnostic on this issue. Might be nice to get a subsidized phone in exchange for a reasonable contract term. Ok either way for me.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
On the website it says it comes unlocked, so you should be able to use a sim from any carrier

Nope. It won't work on Verizon, the biggest carrier in the US.

OnePlus has cut all sorts of corners and made lots of trade-offs. I think they're more interested in succeeding outside of the US than in the US. They also have dual SIM, which is pretty useful outside the US.

Also, getting it to work on Verizon is supposedly much more difficult than supporting CDMA and the frequency bands they use. Their certification process is time consuming and expensive.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

OnePlus has cut all sorts of corners and made lots of trade-offs. I think they're more interested in succeeding outside of the US than in the US. They also have dual SIM, which is pretty useful outside the US.

Also, getting it to work on Verizon is supposedly much more difficult than supporting CDMA and the frequency bands they use. Their certification process is time consuming and expensive.

It doesn't need to be certified to work on Verizon,so long as it supports the appropriate radios, most particularly LTE band 13. You can throw in an active Verizon 4glte sim and it should work.

It won't activate through Verizon's activation system without certification though.

lancester28

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site

I thought that factory unlocked phone can use any sim, thanks for the info.

AFM1204

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't need to be certified to work on Verizon,so long as it supports the appropriate radios, most particularly LTE band 13. You can throw in an active Verizon 4glte sim and it should work.

It won't activate through Verizon's activation system without certification though.

Here is a story where a user put an activated Verizon sim into a OnePlus 5:
http://www.androidguys.com/2017/06/22/will-the-oneplus-5-work-on-verizon-not-really/
The 5 supports one single Verizon band, but performance was super slow, with 3G speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieallthetime