Camera auto-focus.

mikep7779

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to make the phone auto-focus? If I get lucky it will focus and take a good picture. Other times it just wont focus and i'm forced to take a blurry picture. I didnt see anything in settings.

andrewvig

May 18, 2010
Visit site
It should be constantly focusing.. That is the feature that makes this camera so great. At least I thought it was.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

mikep7779

May 13, 2012
Visit site
It should be constantly focusing.. That is the feature that makes this camera so great. At least I thought it was.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums

I know, thats what all the reviews said my my phone just sits out of focus. I assumed it was a setting but saw nothing.

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Can't you touch the screen where you want it to focus? I would think that would solve the out of focus problems.

Sent from my EvoLTE using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Rydah805

mikep7779

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like it is. Probably a customs played with model ;-)

Box was sealed with 1 sticker, I doubt that customs had anything to do with it lol. Regardless it would be a hardware issue. It seems however that if I open the pic preview, then hop back to the camera it focuses no problem. Ill call sprint and try to take more pictures tomorrow.

cdcellular

May 17, 2012
Visit site
my camera focus is messed up too. it will stay unfocused for up to 30 seconds before the focus kicks in. looks like its a defect of some kind. not happy about it at all

kcpowercat

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had a couple shots that seemed to do this as well....touched the screen, it would then focus, but then go back out of focus.

nathy321

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Same thing is happening to me :( a lot of my pics n vids are coming out blurry mostly in lower light situations where as my epic touch never had a problem in does aspecs :-( my epic touch was much better taking pics n vids in low light...hope this can be fix with an update because I already sold my epic touch :-(

creighton

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine does have trouble focusing in lower light situations. Strange seeing as HTC toted this camera as having a fast f/2 lense that would outperform all other camera phones in low light situations.

Also noticed that the lense elements in my camera will "pop" from time to time while focusing. I haven't noticed that it has affected performance though.

Last edited:

mikep7779

May 13, 2012
Visit site
So after some testing I've decided that it is a software issue and not a hardware one.

The problem pops up when the camera focuses on something REALLY close to the lens. After this happens it is unable to focus on things more then a few inches away. This however can be solved by reopening the camera.

shadowhawk2020

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it is a hardware issue. I have two of the phones and side by side and one is blurry and the other is fine. Used a seperate camera app and had the same issue.

kmitchell

May 6, 2011
Visit site
If the camera focuses on something VERY close (~3" away), it seems to lock the focus on this and only stopping/restarting the camera app will allow the camera to re-focus (pushing the hardware shutter/tapping on the screen doesn't help)

There is also a definite clicking/popping sound when closing the camera app when it "unlocks"

Anyone else seeing this?

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you're having focus issues is it just the intended subject that is out of focus or the whole picture. I found that if I try to take a close up picture of a subject and there is lots of other subjects in the area at different focal planes, it is focusing on something in the background. Tapping on the screen where the subject I want to capture seems to do something but it's almost impossible to hold the phone still enough to take advantage of it or the camera is refocusing once I push the shutter button.

I'm hoping there will be a software fix for this. Otherwise the camera has been great.

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Box was sealed with 1 sticker, I doubt that customs had anything to do with it lol. Regardless it would be a hardware issue. It seems however that if I open the pic preview, then hop back to the camera it focuses no problem. Ill call sprint and try to take more pictures tomorrow.

are you sure.. ? I heard customs people also like the camera.. so must have opened some.

am j/k.

1. I will suggest chaging all Camera settigs to default. You can do that from the settings ion in teh middle of the screen

2. have you installed any other camera applications ?