Can a file (apk, txt, png, jpeg etc) install and run itself after getting downloaded?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently got an apk and a .txt file out of nowhere (prob drive-by download)

I checked and turns out it was from a malicious website which's main page was the one to download the APK
And it's second page I got redirected to was the one that downloaded the . txt (might even be a fake txt file extension because I only enabled "show extension" a few hours ago and the .txt was still there before I turned it on)

Could any of the 2 files have installed/ran themselves automatically through any kind of exploits

I deleted them anyways but I just want to make sure they never had the chance to have any effects on my phone

Albert_76

Jul 17, 2021
Visit site
It was already automatically downloaded I just realized it later

But I was just wondering if it is capable of installing, running and executing itself automatically (and hide all of this so I don't know it even got installed) just like how drive-by download attacks work on PC's

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It was already automatically downloaded I just realized it later

But I was just wondering if it is capable of installing, running and executing itself automatically (and hide all of this so I don't know it even got installed) just like how drive-by download attacks work on PC's
Hi, welcome to AC!
On andriod phones it harder then on pc , you would have to install it after downloaded.

Heres a quick link to look over
https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1015048

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not aware of any malware that can auto-install on Android devices. There might be some rare outliers, but they usually require a lot of other unsafe behaviors for successful infection.