Can I go from Custom to Stock (unrooted) while keeping my apps and data

StuMcBill

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I am currently running my Nexus 4 with Illusion Rom, however, I have been thinking about going fully stock for a while and seeing how I like it (and I kinda want to use Sky Go, which doesn't work on rooted handsets).

So, is there anyway I can go from the ROM I am on now, back to stock while retaining my apps and data?

My thought was:
1. Titanium Backup all my user apps and data. (Save on Laptop)
2. Restore a Google factory image from their site, however, everytime I have tried this, it totally wipes my phone, including the SD Card.
3. Install a custom recovery
4. Flash a root installing tool from Chainfire etc
6. Install Titanium Backup and re-install all my apps and data.
7. Unroot (somehow?)
8. Possibly re-flash (via fastboot) stock recovery.

Would the above steps work, or is there an easier way?

Thanks
Stewart

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi

I am currently running my Nexus 4 with Illusion Rom, however, I have been thinking about going fully stock for a while and seeing how I like it (and I kinda want to use Sky Go, which doesn't work on rooted handsets).

So, is there anyway I can go from the ROM I am on now, back to stock while retaining my apps and data?

My thought was:
1. Titanium Backup all my user apps and data. (Save on Laptop)
2. Restore a Google factory image from their site, however, everytime I have tried this, it totally wipes my phone, including the SD Card.
3. Install a custom recovery
4. Flash a root installing tool from Chainfire etc
6. Install Titanium Backup and re-install all my apps and data.
7. Unroot (somehow?)
8. Possibly re-flash (via fastboot) stock recovery.

Would the above steps work, or is there an easier way?

Thanks
Stewart

Sounds like this would work to me.. that's the way I'd have recommended accomplishing the job. As for unrooting.. I think Chainfire's SuperSU app has a built in option to fully unroot, which would take care of that step for you. Also if instead of flashing a custom recovery you just boot into one when you are rooting, your system should retain stock recovery and you wouldn't need to reflash it at the end -- however if you needed to then you could do so just like you described, using fastboot.

I'd say it sounds solid then.. give it a go and let us know if you run into any issues. Make sure you back up the Titanium Backup folder to your computer with all your backups in it so that you'll have that in any case. Possibly make a nandroid backup in recovery and copy that over to the computer too before getting started. Can never be too safe :)

StuMcBill

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply - I will give it a go.

I am offshore at the moment, and I don't think they would take too kindly to me downloading a +/-200Mb file while I am here so will try it when I get home!

Cheers

StuMcBill

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have been thinking about this, and I think I would like to go to Stock ROM, and stay rooted, but would there be an easy way to fully un-root (when I wanted to use Sky Go) and then re-root again, possibly flashing a file in recovery?

I normally use Koush's superuser, which seems to be pretty baked into ROMS?

Any ideas?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I have been thinking about this, and I think I would like to go to Stock ROM, and stay rooted, but would there be an easy way to fully un-root (when I wanted to use Sky Go) and then re-root again, possibly flashing a file in recovery?

I normally use Koush's superuser, which seems to be pretty baked into ROMS?

Any ideas?

Koush's does not have a built-in unroot option that I'm aware of.. Chainfire's does, but fwiw I recommend going with Koush's because of his reputation and the fact that his superuser is open sourced. That said, if you were to use Chainfire's because you need the unroot option, then flashing the zip again in recovery should re-root you, yes.

At this point though I can't say anything is too solid as there are some issues with root in stock 4.3, see here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...rning-root-users-regarding-android-4-3-a.html
As both Koush and Chainfire have had to make some serious alterations to the way root is handled now in 4.3 I can't say how well you're idea would work or if it would be affected. Best I can say is probably to sit tight for a bit and see how it all shapes up once the dust settles a bit. Chainfire's SuperSU is far from perfect right now in 4.3 and Koush is still working on his own.

StuMcBill

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm home from work and I have just installed the factory 4.3 image (I didnt wipe my sdcard, and I still have TWRP installed though), whats my options for root on 4.3?

An easy way to unroot quickly would also be appreciated!

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech