Can I / How to Disable Images in my Notifications

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Okay, this is driving me nuts.

How do I - or can I - disable banner images showing up in my notifications windowshade?

I'm on an LG-V30+ and it's running Android 9.

At some point, I started receiving images in my notifications in my window shade. For example, I would get a graphic banner attached to a game notification.

They bugged me, but I didn't care too much about it...

Until yesterday.

I was at work and lo and behold, when I swiped down on my notification window shade, I got a NSFW artwork image notification (which wasn't tagged as NSFW) from Twitter as a recommended tweet from a friend of a friend.

Thankfully no one was next to me, but I ended up turning off all notifications after that except for basic phone functions.

Can anyone shed insight on how this banner image notification thing works and if there's a way to disable it?

Thanks in advance!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, select the app in question, then Notifications. Click on the word for the notification category (not the toggle switch), and then make sure Pop On Screen is toggled off.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much!

I was able to find this setting on my Twitter notifications and made the changes, but for some other apps, the setting isn't available or the type of notification setting doesn't match the actual notification.

For example, the pop-on feature is typically tagged to "Urgent" in notification type, but an app will still give me pop-on notifications even at a "Medium" setting which only has a badge and no sound.

Is this an app / app developer issue and at that point, is my only option to simply disable notifications for the app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think sometimes the user can't access that particular setting. Can you show a screenshot of the Notification menu for one of the apps you can't seem to adjust?

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Sure!

I'm including 2 screenshots (sorry if they're huge) - one of them is the app's main notification page and the other is the settings to a specific notification setting.

The "Importance" setting is where the pop-on function is - it's specifically attached to the "Urgent" sort of importance and clearly, this setting is for "Medium" and Medium has no mention of pop ons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210107-181411.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-181411.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20210107-181432.jpg
    Screenshot_20210107-181432.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and any of those results in a banner notification? Can you tell if the banner is different, depending on the level (i.e., does any level less than Urgent show a banner that's at least smaller than the Urgent one)?