Can I revert my OS from Oreo back to Nougat?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Samsung J7 running Oreo. Until about a month ago, it was running Nougat. The switch is when my troubles began.

Literally within hours of the upgrade I started noticing a handful of things going wrong. Most noticeably, the battery drains in ways this phone never did, not all - but most - of the time, apps take MUCH longer to open, and secure folder sometimes simply locks the phonescreen when trying to open it! I know these are Oreo issues since I saw them all appear literally the day I upgraded to Oreo. In fact, I didn't even recognize the "low battery" sound notification when it showed up the next night since I had never hit it before on this phone!

Without rooting, is there a way to either rid myself of these issues, or of Oreo?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Reverting to Nougat will mean a reformat of the device so you lose everything. So you're better off just doing a factory reset first anyway and seeing if problems persist. Usually a factory reset clears all problems caused by updates.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
You do, but that's the point. If you're going to try reverting the OS to an older version, which results in wiping the device anyway, just back up your stuff and try a factory reset and see if the issue goes away. If it does, you've now saved yourself the trouble of trying to revert to an earlier OS. If it doesn't, you're not any worse off if you had the tools lined up to revert anyway.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't yet, you can restart to recovery and clear the system cache. Sometimes a new version will pick up something in the old version's cache that will cause it to operate strangely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wacky23