Can I simply put the new nexus on Verizon?

andgle

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
OK, so with the nexus 5 coming out soon I was wondering if indeed it does support Verizon's network can I take my micro sim card out of my Verizon gs3 without deactivating the gs3 and put it in a UNLOCKED nexus 5 if it supported Verizon and will it work?

I think this should work but I need clarification so thanks for the help in advanced.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, that won't work. Bringing a device to Verizon involves them adding the device IMEI to their database. It would have to support their CDMA bands in order to receive calls and have anything other than LTE, and it would have to support their LTE bands to have LTE service. Unfortunately for now, the only surefire way to have a device work on Verizon is to buy a device that was made specifically for Verizon.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Only Nexus phone that works on Verizon is the Galaxy Nexus. Don't expect to see anything else from Google to work on their network anytime soon.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL now Free

andgle

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
OK thanks but your saying if the nexus 5 did have the right bands to support Verizon's LTE it would work if I put my sim card in on the network but just would be able to make calls.

Or did I miss interpret that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think that it would still have to be added specifically to Verizon's network, but someone with more knowledge on that part can chime in.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Assuming that Verizon added the phone's IMEI to their database, if it's a GSM phone, it would only work on LTE, not on voice or text, since they're still CDMA and the phone isn't.

But since they're not going to add the phone you buy to their database, it won't do anything at all.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
And no the nexus5 doesn't support current vzw lte bands. So the only way to use it is as a Wi-Fi device

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
If the nexus 5 did come to verizon you could just swap out sim cards. I swap phones on occasion and have never contacted Verizon.. I doubt the nexus will Be coming to Verizon (we can hope though)

Sent from my rooted droid razr using Tapatalk

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If the nexus 5 did come to verizon you could just swap out sim cards. I swap phones on occasion and have never contacted Verizon.. I doubt the nexus will Be coming to Verizon (we can hope though)

Sent from my rooted droid razr using Tapatalk

Correct ....... Except that you would have to call Verizon and have them switch the phone in their system too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well..... I have never had to call Verizon to swap from my 4G phone to another 4G phone.. When I log onto my Verizon it shows what ever phone I am using at the time.. Again, I have NEVER called in.

Sent from my rooted droid razr using Tapatalk pro that I had to pay for twice!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello..
I just upgraded my HTC Hero from 1.5 to 2.1... On my old setup, on one of my homepages, I had a "favorites" box which was arranged as nine contacts and had their pictures. I could quickly click on one and it would initiate the default contact method, call, text, etc.

On 2.1, I notice the favorites has been moved in the People App and it is now a group.

I cannot find any way to get the favorites back on one of my homepage screens. Can someone help?

Thanks
Dave

Have you ever tried with a device that's not in their system and/or doesn't have the antenna and radios to work on their network? That's what a nexus is.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

andgle

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow thanks for the info that saved me from possibly loosing $400.

I am curious has anyone tried swapping sim cards to a phone not in the Verizon database?