Can I unlock my Droid Maxx and use it on Straight Talk?

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Is this the 2013 droid Maxx? If so it's gsm unlocked per the FCC regulation of Verizons purchase of the 700mhz spectrum it should work on AIO just fine.

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I put a straight talk Sim in my droid maxx and so far everything works but data is very slow. It bounces between edge, h and h+ and from one bar occasionally jumping to 5. I used the APN settings that it said to. I know at&t signal is very good here too. So any ideas why it is so slow?

Posted via Android Central App

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
My signal suddenly improved a lot and for the most part im well pleased with straight talk on my maxx. It out performs my Verizon lte in a lot of areas. My battery life has taken a big hit though. With little use I'm down to 50% where I'd normally be in the 80s. Does gsm use more battery than CDMA/LTE on the maxx?

Posted via Android Central App

AdroidNotAnDroid

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I talked to Verizon global services yesterday. My Razr Maxx is fine out of the U.S. with a foreign SIM (but check the FAQ for exceptions). They do block usage on any other network inside the U.S.
Jerks.

Last edited:

AdroidNotAnDroid

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a consumer droid maxx from vzw the boot loader isn't unlocked I haven't tried to activate it yet I would like to put it on aio its decent in my area but I can't get the unlock code vzw is holding it hostage can I still put it on a different carrier I don't know is its sim unlocked and country unlock I don't understand what a unlocked Sim means when the phone is still locked I also realize because of it being a world phone all network it can be put on different carriers but is it possible that vzw locked it from being used in the United States

I talked to Verizon global services yesterday. My Razr Maxx is fine out of the U.S. with a foreign SIM card (but check the FAQ for exceptions). They do block usage on any other network inside the U.S. Arrrrgh.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
For clarification, there are different phones:

Motorola Droid razr maxx (cannot be used on USA networks)
Motorola Droid razr maxx hd
Motorola Droid Maxx (sim unlocked for USA and international)

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

darksylum

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys I purchased a used clean Droid Ultra. From what I have read it is the same as the 2013 Maxx right? Well I ordered an ATT nano Sim from straight talk and when I put it in and boot the phone it says unkown service or unknown Sim and does not detect a network. I have tried setting the phone to both global and gsm mode but still nothing. Any ideas?

darksylum

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Verizon 4g phones are incompatible with Straight Talk as far as I understand

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

That is the official moto of straight talk. But keep in mind they are in bed with Verizon. Also that is vague and innacurate a response they give. Yes it is officially not compatible with 4g LTE over CDMA unless you use Verizon. However it is also a single Sim GSM phone capable of 4g speeds over GSM. The question here is. Anyone having luck with straight talk?

Ptel is on the T-Mobile network and confirmed the ultra and maxx work with there GSM service but only at 2g speeds. Reports are that they can reach 20mb 4g or close to 4g on ATT HSPA+ prepaid services. That is what i want to attempt with straight talk as they are cheaper than most other ATT prepaid carriers.

James Franco

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi I have a droid razr M. I want to switch to straight talk or t mobile because I can't afford huge bills for just 2 phones and barely any data at all. Did you ever get your phone switched over and fixed? Does it still use 4G? I don't want to lose my 4G service.

Wireless01

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

DirtyTrees

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I just went thru hell with straight talk trying to get 4g. Apparently with T-Mobile you can get it but can't call or msg. With AT&T you only get hspa but everything works. No APN needed. All works fine. I've gone thru 5 SIM cards trying to get 4g. If someone knows how by now please.. Do tell..

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

DirtyTrees

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi James,

Our sevice is affordable and uses 4G. You need to check the phone if it is compatible for you use Straight Talk. Please Welcome | Straight Talo check the eligibility. If further assistance is needed, please send us an email at r you can chat with us live at/bi Thank you!

Kurt

Straight Talk Wireless

Your rep "angel" after I told the APN settings decreased my speeds quickly said those are the only setting that will work and disconnected me. I will not renew my straight talk this month. << comment removed by moderator >>

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

fwsiicats

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey. I'm having issues sending text and making phones calls. I have tried to add and save. A APN on my droid maxx and it won't save. What can I do

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I've used my droid maxx on straight talk. I could get 3G and 4g but obviously no lte. My problem is signal is never that good and the battery drained much quicker. Any ideas why it does this?

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a moto x that gets great signal around here with straight talk But my droid maxx does not. I would much rather use my maxx if possible.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Your two phones are so similar I would guess the Maxx has the wrong APN and the X has a APN that works fine. I used Straight Talk for some time with an iPhone and setting the APN was always a problem. Never was sure I had the best one. Straight Talk list just one listed but If you go out on the net you will find different APN settings to try.

Cuddlesheart

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Droid Maxx (The one that the back cover cant open) and I'm wondering, Only the straight talk Sim work for this phone or any T-Mobile Sim work..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord