Can I use an Apple travel charger with my S4?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The standard Android charger is 5V. You can find out the voltage of this Apple charger by dividing 5W by its maximum amperage (probably 1.0). As long as the charger doesn't deliver a drastically higher voltage, it should be safe.

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
The standard Android charger is 5V. You can find out the voltage of this Apple charger by dividing 5W by its maximum amperage (probably 1.0). As long as the charger doesn't deliver a drastically higher voltage, it should be safe.

Alrighty. Thank you for the info!

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
An update on this for future readers. Tried charging today with this charger, box says output at 5V. It activated charging, let it charge for about 50 minutes in which time, the battery went from 25% to 1%. Hope it didn't permanently damage my new battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well that's strange.:confused: It certainly shouldn't be delivering excessive power. Did it drain to 1% despite the battery icon showing a lightning bolt charging symbol?

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Well that's strange.:confused: It certainly shouldn't be delivering excessive power. Did it drain to 1% despite the battery icon showing a lightning bolt charging symbol?

I plugged in saw the charge icon and the sound and left it. Not sure if it stopped after that. The first night after I got the battery I charged it for 5 minutes with this charger as well before deciding I should get info on it first. The first night battery lasted 24 hours, do you think it could have done some damage? Battery has been draining quick ever since.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
All USB chargers are 5V unless the phone can utilize quick charge, and the S4 cannot. The S4 will draw 2 amps if the charger is capable of delivering that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So is the battery actually charging up properly now? You had mentioned that when you first plugged in with the Apple charger that the battery actually continued draining from 25% down to 1%.

Can you give us more details about how quickly the battery is draining? Some battery stats would help. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.