Can you root S III to get clean Android UI?

stevebelieveone

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The main negative I saw in reviews was comments around Samsung's UI layer being sub-optimal, even compared to HTC's Sense. Will this be a phone you can root and put a clean instance of ICS on?

Hopefully not a repeat question - apologies if redundant.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
This phone is easily rooted, but writing AOSP ROMs for this phone will be impossible until the RIL is cracked. Which could take a long time. You'll be able to approximate stock ICS with other launchers and debloated ROMs, but actual, true AOSP will probably take a while.

boxta

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Frankly if you don't like touchwiz, then simply install apex or nova launcher, then you will have a pretty close to vanilla experience, at least on the surface, and that's probably good enough for most.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Cruiserdude

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
^^This.

Rooting allows you to make whatever changes you want, but those changes still have to work. There's a big difference between rooting and flashing roms, however, which is the normal procedure for actually changing the entire UI. I would imagine it'll take a little while to crack the RIL, however we'll see plenty of custom roms before then.

It'd be quite easy though to root it, run Apex, Nova, or Trebuchet, and debloat some of the more resource-intensive TW apps that aren't a direct part of the framework. Make a few speed tweaks dependent on how its set up out of the box, and theme it to get rid of all the ridiculous colors and make it look like stock ICS. All this is within the capability of many users, and for those that can't, we should see simple ROM's that make these basic changes within a few days of its release.

But no, you can't merely root and just revert to stock Android. Not yet, anyway.

Reactions: vfrpete

sprtent

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I dont know much abt rooting, but on this topic, when should I be able to root and enable wifi tethering on this phone if all possible? Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Given the pace at what Cyanogen Mod team has been running the last 6 months or so, I wouldn't expect it to be very long before at least an unofficial version of CM 9 is running followed up with official support not long after.

Just my opinion...

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
question based off of the vanilla android experience:

i have an incredible that i usually run launchers off of, and they run pretty ok... not totally seamless, though, w/ some lag and stuff.

not being familiar w/ current phones, how quick would launchers run on top of the s3? any noticeable lag, etc?

shahm0nsterr#AC

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
From the reviews I've watched, many people prefer the new Touchwiz to HTC Sense. But like boxta said, just install a third party launcher like Apex or Nova if you want the vanilla ICS homescreen look and feel.