Cannot unlock bootloader, root or do anything with Verizon Galaxy S5. What can I do?

gch5516

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Cannot unlock bootloader, root or do anything with Verizon Galaxy S5

If someone can help me with this, it will be a miracle!!! I bought a supposed "unlocked" galaxy S5 from Daily Steals. My intention was to switch from Straight talk to Ting because of the affordability. Since receiving this phone on Friday I have spent every one of those days trying to get this phone to work with the Ting sim card. I'm assuming the phone is not unlocked. I've read a million websites on unlocking the bootloader, and rooting the phone and a million "unlocking" websites where I put my IMEI # in only for them to say this is a CDMA and is not supported. I really really don't want to have to send the phone back because...well its a galaxy S5 an awesome phone. Do I just really need to give up and send the phone back because there is no way to accomplish the task. I am soooo tired of reading, sooo tired of troubleshooting, will someone please advise me. Oh also called Verizon they say all their phones are unlocked...BS!! Ting tells me its locked. I give up!!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cannot unlock bootloader, root or do anything with Verizon Galaxy S5

Two different types of unlocked. Unlocking the bootloader will not help you, neither will root. Verizon phones are SIM unlocked, meaning any SIM you put in it, if the other carrier supports it, Verizon doesn't do anything to prevent it from working. So when you call Verizon, what they're telling you is accurate. The only way they'd block activation on another carrier is if the device is blacklisted or not paid off. Whether or not it will work with Ting is 100% up to Ting. According to https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205428788-Buying-a-Device-for-BYOD-Tips the device must be clean (not reported lost, stolen, unpaid, doesn't have a lien against it, etc) and if choosing their CDMA service you should be using a Sprint branded S5. True unlocked devices are not Verizon versions that just happen to work on most GSM carriers, they're phones like the iPhone 6, 6s, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Moto X Pure Edition, etc. that are designed to work on any carrier.

gch5516

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Cannot unlock bootloader, root or do anything with Verizon Galaxy S5

Thank you very much for replying, i guess i will need to get with Ting again.