Can't migrate data to SD card with Moto G5

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a Moto G5 phone with a 64 gb SD card formatted as internal. I only have around 500 mb left in internal storage, so I get the "Storage space running out" notification and I cannot update apps. However, I can't migrate data to the SD card, it gets to 20% done and then I get a "Couldn't move data, Data left at original location" notification. Also, when I go to Settings/storage/internal shared storage the page gets stuck on loading.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Formatting the card as internal storage means that you no lnger have an extSdCard, all you have is sdcard, which is internal storage (just 64GB more of it than you had without the card). So there's no "external SD card" to "migrate" data to - it's just one large block of 80GB of storage. If your "torage space [is] running out", that means that you're close to filling all 80GB. If you need more storage, about all you can do is back everything (including apps and their data) up, reformat the card as portable storage (to migrate as much as possible to the eMMC [internal] storage), then put a larger card into the phone, format it as internal storage, and restore everything.

You can't put 40 ounces of milk in a quart bottle, and you already have about 31.5 ounces in it.

JSmith222221

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
It looks to me like they're still being treated as seperate storage media, because only the "Internal shared storage" is close to full (15.45 / 16), the SD card is only 17.93 / 64 full. Is it possible that I can't move data because the internal storage doesn't have enough space to create links to the data that would be in the SD card?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, it's because the file system treats the card as part of internal storage, and you can't move something from where it is to the same place.

The storage app considers them differently, but it's the file system that counts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463