Can't move apps to SD card and use them

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm totally confused. I'm a novice, and "not young", so I get confused easily.
I just upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (i727) to Jelly Bean (4.1.2) from ICS.
Now my phone's memory (not cache or RAM, but on device storage) is nearly full.

BTW, what are the memory areas on my device? There's RAM, Device Storage, SD and External SD.
Is there some sort of internal SD that I could change to more capacity?
Though, when I look at "storage" from the task manager there is System Storage, USB Storage and SD storage.
What is what?

So I went to Setup>Application Manager
And moved as many apps as I could to my SD card.
Now the icons on my screens are ghosts with a little SD in the corner of the icon,
and it says the app is not installed.

I am tired of re-installing apps every time I try anything in Jelly Bean. My phone ran better with ICS.
Samsung needs to get up to speed on user support and fix the way Jelly Bean runs on this model.
There are tons of user complaints about speed and battery consumption after upgrading from
ICS to jelly bean - I HOPE THERE IS AN UPDATE TO FIX PROBLEMS COMING SOON!

Anyone know what I can do in the meantime?

Last edited:

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Leave apps where they are and move photos and other large media like movies to the external SD card. You shouldn't install apps on an SD card anyway. They run better off internal memory. I can't imagine how you would run out of space just by having only apps on the internal storage.

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It wasn't a problem until I upgraded to jelly bean from ICS.
All of my media is already on the SD card.
I have a lot of apps - but something else must be going on.
I may have to do a factory reset to get rid of ghosts from ICS.
But there are some simple apps that I don't use much, and don't care if they aren't lightning fast.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree must be something else. I do not know anyone who runs out of storage with just apps on their phone. Factory reset may be your best option.

Mark 42

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I do have a lot of apps - silly ones, games, even duplicates when I can't decide which one I want to keep.
I'm wondering what are the different memory spaces in my phone.
Systems memory, device storage, RAM, cache, internal SD, external SD... and what they all mean, and how to manage them.
I miss the old days of DOS.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey