Can't Update to Froyo, MTP Error

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a Samsung Captive with 2.1 I purchased today. I've been trying to update it to the official 2.2, and frankly I'm about to throw the thing in the trash. It is EXTREMELY annoying.

On my Windows 7 machine, I did as the official steps (link) said--I downloaded Kies Mini, it updated, I changed the USB mode of the phone to Kies. I fire-up Kies, then connected, but it doesn't find anything. It keeps saying "please connect your phone," when I know good & well the phone is connected (and not through a hub, either).

It seems it's not installing the MTP USB Device drivers okay, and I been doing any number of different steps--I don't mind sharing them, but I've done so many I can't track all that I've done. I will tell you this--it is 5 hours (yes, FIVE HOURS!!!!! $#&*@) later, with me searching not just androidcentral but the entire Interet for solutions, and trying any number of them out--and I still am absolutely at square zero with getting this done.

I found this thread here which explains one of many workarounds I've tried--it involves setting the phone to Mass Storage instead of Kies, connecting it and extracting a file named "FileSearcherforKiesFix" (a ZIP file) and then there are steps after that with regards to where you extract these files (very confusing to me), but what is clear is this--it mentions that your phone should appear as a hard drive letter, actually 2 (one for the phone one for the microSD)--but it absolutely does not do it. I even removed the microSD card figuring that at least that 1 drive letter would show--but again, it absolutely does not do it.

Another one mentioned uninstalling Kies, installing these Samsung Drivers (Samsung USB Drivers for Mobile Phones), then re-installing Kies. Another mentioned not letting Kies update because it was doing fine before the update, so I reinstalled the original and when it tried to update I unplugged the modem to insure it couldn't download the newer version. I've even tried differing microUSB cords, thinking maybe the 1st was too long or too thin. I made sure it was connected straight to the PC not through a hub.

All of the things I've tried--100% fail. I can't get past the MTP Driver failing to install error, no matter what in the world I dare consider doing.

Someone, please help--this is extremely annoying. It's so annoying, I'm considering getting another phone altogether, and I like the phone so far, but I shouldn't be spending 5 hours in vain trying to perform an OS update. That is just beyond ridiculous.

LRH

LRH

Last edited:

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
On the telephone, if you are using a launcher program other than touchwhiz (e.g. Launcher Pro = bad), KIES or mini-KIES will not recognize that the phone is connected.

Under settings > applications > USB settings try selecting "Kies", rather than "ask on connection".

Then go into settings > applications > development and turn on "USB debugging".

Consider trying a different USB port, one directly attached to the motherboard is preferable to (e.g.) a satellite port on the front of a PC case.

Also make sure you're using reliable USB cable (e.g. the one that came with the phone that attached to the wall-plug for charging), I've a USB cable which will transfer files to the external and internal SD cards, but which KIES will not recognize.

If your machine is 64 bit, be sure to use the 64 bit drivers.
Download Samsung Galaxy S USB Driver for Windows x64 Driver for Windows XP X64 / Windows Vista64 / Windows 7 x64 - Softpedia

Try these things, if it helps, consider pressing the thanks button, it makes me smile :) If not, tell us what you did, and we'll offer more suggestions.

AoN

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Then go into settings > applications > development and turn on "USB debugging".

THAT was the trick. I did that, and Kies Mini found it. It updated very painlessly from there--other than momentarily GPS wasn't locking in good (as I explained here), it did ultimately after turning off Wi-Fi and/or installing GPS Restore by Samsung (not sure which one did the trick).

Thank you so much (I will "thank" officially), and if you don't mind--it's about time. What I mean by that--in all of the searching I did, not one post said anything about that. That's very important to note, as I sort of anticipated that I might get a "search before you post" lecture (Howard Forums, among other forums, seems to be downright touchy about people posting a new question to anything that's ever been so much as MENTIONED before), as this strikes me as a (probably) common error message that's already been covered already--yet the thing is--I did search, a LOT, but from what I remember anyway not one post mentioned this.

I thank you VERY much, after 5 hours of getting stuck at square one, it's a HUGE relief.

LRH

Last edited:

hke_bigchief

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
have a look there : "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" ? - Sansa Fuze - abi>>forums

I had the same problem and I resolve it with that
If the link is not OK, I paste the procedure here :
A solution that worked
Hello,

I had the same problem.

First, the background-

I installed Windows XP onto a laptop, the XP had SP3 & WMP11 integrated on the cd.

I then tried to get my Creative Zen 4GB to connect - and ran into the same problem. While installing the driver, it detected the MTP driver, and then the "New Hardware Wizard" popped up and failed with the error:

Code:

There was a problem installing this hardware: MTP Device

An error occurred during the installation of the device.

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

I tried a load of different things to try and resolve, Reverting to WMP10, Copying the MTP driver from a working PC etc etc etc to no avail.

The solution, I finally discovered was to do with the UMDF (User Mode Driver Framework) service. It comes with WMP11, and installs during the setup.

Looking at the UDMF installation logs (c:\windows\Wudf01000Inst.log) - I found that there were errors during installation - I figured that re-installing UMDF might fix the problem. (and it did!) Unfortunatly, as it is not in add/remove programs, I ran into problems trying to remove it. If you un-install WMP11, it does not remove the UMDF dll's. If the dll's exist, then the UMDF installer will skip during the re-install of WMP11.

I managed to manually re-install UMDF using the method below.

To find the installer files for UMDF, you need to get them out of the WMP11 Installer.

Code:

How to find the installer for UMDF

1) Run the WMP11 Setup file "wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu"
(It will extract the installer files into your %TEMP% folder)

2) Click Start -> Run -> %temp%
3) Press F3 and search for "umdf.exe"
4) Copy this file to your Desktop
5) Cancel the WMP11 Setup.

Now, you need to fool windows into thinking that UMDF is not installed on your computer, by renaming some files. Copy & Paste the following into a Command Prompt.

Code:

rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfrd.sys den_wudfrd.sys
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wudfpf.sys den_wudfpf.sys
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfhost.exe den_wudfhost.exe
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfsvc.dll den_wudfsvc.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfx.dll den_wudfx.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfplatform.dll den_wudfplatform.dll
rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\wudfcoinstaller.dll den_wudfcoinstaller.dll

Now run the umdf.exe and re-install.

Spent hours trying to fix this, and finally managed to get it working.

Hope it works out for ya, if it does, let me know!

Denis

robotfish

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
annoneamouse thank you thank you. 7 days of fiddling with drivers, dll files, sys files, windows media player etc etc and you have guided me home. Kies (for better or worse) now sees my device, and the driver is recognised by Windows 7,

For info: my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S2.

Problem: Kies would not see my phone, and Windows would not install the driver properly.

Solution:
Start Windows with no phone connected
On Samsung Galaxy S2: Settings-> Applications-> Development-> USB Debugging (turn this on)
Connect phone. Windows installs drivers.
(Here, I started Kies, which told me that it could not connect to phone as it was not in the correct mode. I guess this step is therefore not required! So I stopped Kies)
Disconnected phone, turned off USB debugging.
Started Kies on PC.
Stopped all apps on phone & connected it to PC. Voila! Kies sees it.

I'm not dissing all the other solutions out there. Some people have removed WMP. Some people are formatting the phone storage or removing files with extensions > 16 characters long. Some people are renaming dll files & sys files. (A challenge in Windows 7). I have tried them all (except the format), and who knows maybe it was a combination of one of those steps and this final step that did it, but I can tell you now that the sense of relief in my house is palpable!

eddyblyn

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Denis u r a STAR!! Found yr original 2009 solution [on anythingbutipod_com/forum] but reckon many are still looking for it.....
some dude also hijacked it, but at least it is closer to where it is needed! [mysamsungwave_com]
SAMSUNG should be broadcasting this for all GALAXY KIES MTP errors!!!!
I tried ALL the alternative fixes but never I seen so many issues with a simple piece of software!!!!
Sorry I only found your solution at the end when I was searching wider than GALAXY.....
Thanks forever! Go well! Just waiting for the server now.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thephilster001